Audi dealer saying its broken when its not?!

JCC1981

Reaction score
Had my car service lasted month and the dealer said ( and printed on my service sheet) the cv boot was split and needed replacing (190 quid!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif )...so i had a 3rd party mechanic have a look at it to see how bad it was...to my surprise he said there's nothing wrong with them, so i go to another dealer 45mins down the road to get a 2nd opinion...who confirm the same, that the cv boot doesn't need replacing a clip just needs tightening!

so..as u can imagine i'm fuming as the original dealer tried to charge me £190 for something that didn't need doing after paying them £440 for my service! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif

...so its complaint time!

Does anyone know what kind of rights i have, if any?! (refund, compensation, etc)

Before you go mad, perhaps they just made a mistake? Maybe it was someone else's car they had in the same day, and they put it on the wrong paperwork.

Also not sure how you can get a refund / compensation when you haven't actually had the work done?

I'd challenge the original dealer certainly, but they may have just made a mistake, we all do it.

yeah i don't plan to go monkey poo on them down the phone, it was just the fact it was booked in to have it replaced with them shortly and i wudn't have know about it if i hadn't have had it checked....mistakes are made yes...but it does bring up the question how good was my service if they got that wrong?!

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone know what kind of rights i have, if any?! (refund, compensation, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

I appreciate you are annoyed that the dealer tried to suggest your car needed work that it it doesn't actually need, but even if it wasn't an admin errror (& it may well have been, just like Monkeytrousers says) if you didn't have the work done, why should you be entitled to a refund or compensation?

Refund of what? You haven't spent the £190 they quoted, have you?

Compensation for what? Finding out that your car doesn't need a repair afer all?

Come on. Get this into proportion, and get back to enjoying your car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

It just highlights the incompetence of the dealership so all you can do is vote with your feet and use someone else. Your car must be over 3 years old so why are you still paying through the nose for an official Audi stamp anyway?
If it really has wound you up, then you could always get them to carry out the work regardless and see if they still go ahead, then present them with a written confirmation from the other dealer that it was unnecessary and take them to trading standards, but who needs that sort of hassle?
As for compensation, what, for the trauma it's caused? Phone claims direct, they seem pretty good at suing people for no apparent reason.

[ QUOTE ]
Come on. Get this into proportion, and get back to enjoying your car

[/ QUOTE ]

...yeah i know my toys are firmly out of my pram /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

It still annoys me when you pay that much at a dealer they can stuff it up

[ QUOTE ]
Your car must be over 3 years old so why are you still paying through the nose for an official Audi stamp anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wanted the Audi stamp for the 2nd service so i can sell her later in the year. Although it seems there stamp means diddle squat...

[ QUOTE ]
2nd service? blimey that must be a low miler?

[/ QUOTE ]

yup...34K miles on a 52 plate A3 1.9 TDI (130)

[ QUOTE ]
Hardly worth going diesel then really?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe....i've put 14K on it since i got it plus for resale i'll hopefully be able to get more with a lower mileage

...the alternative was a s3, but the insurance was a silly amount /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I'm in the process of liasing with mine about a problem which if not dealt with will post a few facts on here
The general rule I think is like I was told is to keep the customer happy so I think your ones have either made a error or its a different car they are on about

You should think yourself lucky as they could have split the cv gaiter and then it would definately need replacing

I think it's disgraceful.

Yes, it could have been a mistake, but do you really believe that when it went back in they'd have turned the car away saying they made the mistake, or would they just print the bill?

Should we really have to double check every bit of work that's done at a dealers!

I have to say, i tried 3 seperate audi centers in two years, all were terrible.

Gave the original dealer a ring yesterday and politely outlined the issue of the 'prefectly fine cv boot'...they ask if i can bring it in for a second look...would of thought they would of done this when reporting a fault in the first place?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif...but nevermind.

anyway i'll see what they say on saturday....."there's no rip....really?! are you sure this time?!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

I would have said, can u show me then. and then make them look like fools

...well i just got back from the dealer....didn't really need to say much

they had a look......oh look no rip..excuse was "yeah there was alot of oil so the mechanic assumed it was ripped"....."so you mean he didn't bother looking properly?!"...."ummm yeaah"....here's a credit note to say sorry thou /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif

Good news, but still not sure what the credit note was for - you didn't pay for this work did you?

We'll never know if they would have done the job unnecessarily had you not pointed it out.

no, but my arguement was i paid them £440 for a audi service....which they reported a false fault..they could of charge me for (we'll never know) & they neglected to tell me my tyres were 0.4mm away from being illegal....

end of the day, if i go to audi for a service and pay through the nose for it i expect them to do a professional job...not do a half a*sed one!

although it makes you wonder what chimp they had working on my car and how gd really was my service?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

anyway the cars fine...the cv boots are ripless...and the sun's out so its back to driving and enjoying the car!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dancing.gif