Lost boost on S3

slinford

Reaction score
Pulled away from a junction fairly quickly this evening. The boost came on and then suddenly dropped off. There is virtually no boost at any throttle level. I didn't notice any significant smoke out the back at the time and there is no smoke now when driving. The car has a decent level of oil and water. I can't see any boost pipes off but then it is very difficult to see properly without decent investigation. Any thoughts would be very handy.

Many thanks

have you guys got your esp on as if your trying to pull away quickly it doesnt like it and cuts the power.

LOL, hummm, to be honest I don't think i was pulling away enough for it to slip, as the turbo kicks in at around 3000rpms it suddenly drops off. But I just think it was a one off for me, haven' had it since that day (pretty sure the esp never kicked in)

Maybe you're blown a pipe off.

I've blown my intercooler pipe off when doing extreme launches before.

from stand still at a jubction or a roundabout if you give it enough then you can get it to kick in and the engine cuts its power right down and a yellow/orange tringle with! in the middle flashes until it sorts it selfout.

when the esp is active or operating it will flash as far as the boost check all hoses through the whole induction system also the reserculation valve could be stuck open and may just keep reseculating the air im not sure if your problem is a symptom of that. check the waste gate as well the oly time you will see smoke is if you loose boost that the ecu has seen and added fuel for. good luck

I get this sometimes when I boot it in first gear, but it doesn't happen every time and never in higher gears.

I'm sure it is the traction control, but interestingly the dash light does not always flicker when it happens.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all of your replies. Took the car out later on in the evening after it had cooled down for a coupla hours and the problem had gone. Very strange. Lets hope it stays that way.

Sam

I had much the same problem, it seemed to come and go to start with, but gradually got worse.
Turned out it was the air mass monitor which are apparently prone to breaking.

cheeseman are you sure you didn't over boost for whatever reason and the car go into limphome mode.