Update on car I'm gonna see....

A1ps

Reaction score
Guys,

Just had an update on the Nogy blue I want. Could you please tell me what you think...

It has:

52 reg. 22k miles
FASH
Traders warantee (not audi warantee)
electric sunroof
alcantara heated seats
satellie navigation (it's not Plus as first thought)
rear parking sensors
bose

It doesn't have:

Alu mirrors
RS4 wheels
cruise control
Muti function wheel
dealer warantee

I'm guessing that most of these extras, if not all of them, I can get fitted afterwards?

They're asking for £17k

A few of you have said I should knock it down to about £16k... which I will try my darndest too ;-)

I'd rather have a warranty than a warantee

Is this a dealer or private? Assuming it's dealer then the price sounds about right, agree that you should try and knock them down although £500 off might be more realistic.

Surprised it doesn't have aluminium mirrors, mine's a 02 reg and it has them.

LOL at "warantee" ! I think my brain's switched off. What was I thinking!!! And I spelt it incorrectly TWICE!!!

Monkeytrousers its a dealer sale. I'm surprised about the alu mirrors too.

I was supposed to go and see it on Monday - but the person I booked the appt with was "just an old boy employee" who had no right to book an appt... especially as they're shut on a bank holiday!!! Gonna have to wait a couple of weeks now to go and see it. Just gotta keep fingers crossed it doesn't sell.

Ally mirrors were an option on all facelifts so it doesn't matter what year it is. I wouldnt want a MF wheel either they look crap and dont come with the S3 logo in.

You can get a good quality set of 18" RSTT's for ~£600 with tyres (don't go for RS4 reps as these are slightly different to the factory supplies RSTT).

So i rekon if you can get £500 - £1000 it should pay for the desirable options.

OR

You could buy my car with all the options on from the factory on an 03 plate (28K miles) and its in the nicest combo - Imola Yellow / Black leather for £15,000 with some factory Warranty left! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Nervus I must admit I absolutely love the imolas - especially with the alu mirrors and RS4's... alas the other half absolutely hates yellow :-( I had an uphill battle convincing her to go for an S3 so I dont think I stand a chance trying to convince her to go for a yellow S3 :-(

Erm, did all the S3's come with split rear seats? or was this again an added option?

split folding rears on A/S3's were standard

Cheers guys. I'm a touch peed off. Was well looking forward to getting the car sorted out on Monday. The guy emailed me pics of the car and it looks great. It shows that the car also has the Sat Nav Plus, which he said it didn't! So I get to watch stenders whilst sitting in a jam in London!!

Any ideas how much cruise control would set me back? (not that I need it, but if it's cheap......)

Cruise can be retro fitted for £195 or you can buy the parts yourself for about £70 and do it yourself.

if you're interested I'd be willin to sell you my multi-function steering wheel. I agree with Nervus they're crapy on an S3, I'd rather have the standard 3 spoke, so if you want to trade just let me know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Most places will supply, fit and configure cruise to a drive-by-wire vehicle (which of course the ones you're looking at all are) for around £200-£300. If you know someone with VAG-COM, or get to know someone who does; you can buy the bits yourself (essentially a stalk and a few wires) for usually WELL under £100 and enabling it once fitted takes about 60 seconds...

Regards,

Rob.

@ Defratos

Do you have any pics of your Powerflow custom quad exhaust?

Would this be the cruise control that Audi themselves would have fitted as an option? I have cruise control on my S2 which was an aftermarket piece of kit and its rubbish (well, rubbish when it actually works!!)

Defratos, I think I've been talked out of the MFSW by all these guys :) Ta for the offer though. PS You aint the guy with the amazing silver S3, are you?

Well,l i wouldn't trade my MFSW for a standard s3 item.. It takes me ages to skip through all the tracks on my ipod, and the MFSW makes it just about bearable.

It's just another personal choice really...

aghh! Didn't think about the ipod factor :)

Defratos I may be in touch if I get this car :)

[ QUOTE ]
Would this be the cruise control that Audi themselves would have fitted as an option? I have cruise control on my S2 which was an aftermarket piece of kit and its rubbish (well, rubbish when it actually works!!)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep, it'd be the real-deal as fitted at the production line...

Regards,

Rob.

Dudes,

Booked an early appointment to go see the car. Also going to see 2 others this weekend - one absolute red (everyone says how nice they are in the real so I'm curious) and one nogy.

So, what I need to know from all you people in the know is what to look out for when looking around and testing the cars???

I've read the buying guide and FAQ's on here and also read some guides on other sites.

But in short, are there any other key things I should look out for? I know on my S2 one of the major things was the bushes and suspension (due to the car being incredibley heavy!) The rusting doors issue is one I'll defo look at closley.

Also, any "good" ways of dealing with a trade sale? Bargaining tips, finance tips (what's a good rate of finance for an average Joe?)

Will let you all knowI get along.

Thanks guys
Alps

Check for worn bushes and antiroll bar (creaking over speed bumps etc).

Also Check

- rear washer jet is working.
- Aircon is working fine
- electric seats are all functioning properly
- Diverter valve (does it flutter on gear changes)
- Hesitation and poor performance - (Airmass meter -MAF)

What is it with audi's and the air con! I know that in ALL the S2's I looked at, and in the one I bought, the air cond didnt work in ANY of em!! Bushes are a MAJOR issue too. As is rear washer jet (dont work on my S2!) Mafs are a mjor problem too! Hmmmmm, familiar faults on old n new audis!!!

Thanks for the tips Dicky

[ QUOTE ]
Dudes,

Booked an early appointment to go see the car. Also going to see 2 others this weekend - one absolute red (everyone says how nice they are in the real so I'm curious) and one nogy.

So, what I need to know from all you people in the know is what to look out for when looking around and testing the cars???

I've read the buying guide and FAQ's on here and also read some guides on other sites.

But in short, are there any other key things I should look out for? I know on my S2 one of the major things was the bushes and suspension (due to the car being incredibley heavy!) The rusting doors issue is one I'll defo look at closley.

Also, any "good" ways of dealing with a trade sale? Bargaining tips, finance tips (what's a good rate of finance for an average Joe?)

Will let you all knowI get along.

Thanks guys
Alps

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the red that everyone raves about it misano red, not absolute red. Misano is what everyone would consider red to be, whilst the absolute can look slightly orangey.

Alps, I would urge you to try and get the car for significantly less than £17k - as a guide, I bought mine 18 months ago (52 plate, 14k miles) for under £17k from a main dealer, though admittedly the one you're looking at has the satnav+ and is in a more popular colour, it's still overpriced imo.

ims3ola, what would you say would be a fair price for the car? I was thinking around the £16,500 cuz i'll be putting my s2 as a trade in. thats were im going to lose the ability to bargain :-(

Guys, sorry to keep hounding at you with my questions... but I have a few more - and a request for some good advice please.

I'm going to see travel far and wide to see 2 of the cars - both are trade sales.

Now, I don't want to go all the way down, like the car, buy it on the spot without having an AA check done. I've bought a car without getting an AA check and I suffered very very badly! At the same time, I dont want to book an appt with the AA, go to see the car and not like the car BUT still have to pay the AA!! Catch 22 comes to mind :-(

Could you folk give any suggestions please :)

I was thinking about asking the dealer of the car I like (thats if I like any of the cars) if they would accept a deposit of a few hundred pounds which they could cash ONLY IF once the car has had the AA check and all is ok. If all not ok they'd have to refund the full deposit. Would that be taking the pi$$? I'd obviously have to have a proper receipt stating the deal.

Sorry again for keep asking questions - but I really want to make sure I don't get ripped of again.

Alps

Alps, if you are going to be trading in the S2, the absolute price of the S3 is unimportant, it's the cost to change that you need to know. You should be able to give the two dealers details of your S2 over the phone, and they should be able to tell you fairly accurately (+/- a few % depending on actually seeing the condition of the car) how much they can give you for it against the S3 you're interested in. It makes sense to do this before you travel down, as some p/x prices take the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif.

Regarding the AA check, I would go and have a look at the car myself first, then if i liked it, I would get the AA check done. As you say, the best way is to leave a deposit with dealer stipulating in writing that it is fully refundable if the AA check brings up anything you're not happy with. IMO this isn't cheeky, and the dealer should have no problem if he has nothing to hide.

Also, it may be an idea to pay the deposit with a credit card. That way, if there's any problem if it comes to the dealer refunding it, it will be easier to get it back via the credit card company.

Shock horror :-O

I just spoke to one of the dealers.

He said that according to his computer my car's only worth £770 to him :-O

Now, if I were to look on autotrader an average version of my spec car goes for anything between £3500 to £4500.

Now I am really baffed as to what to do?!?!?!?

Dont dealers just send Part-X's to the block? Better selling car privately IMO

[ QUOTE ]
Dont dealers just send Part-X's to the block? Better selling car privately IMO

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially with something like a S2. Sell it to an enthusiast..

That would be ideal. But if I can't PX I'll have a short fall for any of the cars I'm going to see :-(

Gonna have to go do my calculations again....

I guess the plus side to this situation is that I have more bargaining powers on the asking price!!

Thanks for the link Chris. But I think its a tad pricey for the spec it has. The ones I had in mind have a massive spec and are approx 500 - 1000 more than the one you linked me to.

I think I may just have to wait till I sell me S2 before getting the S3 :-((( Unless someone would want to swap my S2 for a motorbike :)))

Update...

Went to see the Absolute red. Very nice car. Absolutely clean, great inside and out. Not as powerful as my S2... but powerful enough (and a chip and remap will make a nice difference ;-) )

Spec was low - sunroof, leccy heated seats, bose... and thats it. The downside was that the dealer offered only a grand on my S2. He made same suggestion as Slug - sell privately. I've had one guy call me up asking about details on the S2. Said he'd call bacl to book a viewing... and he never called back!! I'd so much prefer if they just plain said "thanks but no thanks mate!"

Going to see the nogy blue tomorrow. Fingers crossed the dealer offers me a little more than the last dealer.........

Will keep you all informed.

PS What do you all think of the S4 on an 03/04 plate? I've seen a couple for around the £25/26k mark! If I buy one of these I'd not need to sell in 3/4 years and can then justify the extra £10k ;-)

Well, to cut a very long story short... didn't get to go see the nogy blue today :-( Absolute royal pain in the ar$e!

Gonna have to wait 2 weeks now till I get the chance to go and see it. Just hope it doesn't sell in that time... but then again, if it does that'll give me an excuse to consider an S4 :-D