Oil change / service question...

TQS

Reaction score
Hi - had my 2002 A3 1.8 T Quattro remapped last September and immediately noticed a big drop in fuel consumption even under gentle driving conditions.
I had the big 40k service done and they left me on the audi variable servicing option. My next service is therefore due either in Jan '07 or in 9,000 miles ish.

I've been thinking of getting a service and switching to the annual service scheme and had some c-razy quotes!
1. £225 by an independant I've never used before (inc spark plugs)
2. £119 by a VW garage who also wanted an extra £35 to activate auto door-lock Spark plugs would cost £34 plus parts to fit.
3. £77 by a local Seat dealer for just an oil change - they weren't entireley sure of which Seat model equivalent oil to use - and said they would do the auto door lock for FREE.!!

Do you guys have any suggestions???

Oh yeah, i've now done 42k miles and was 'advised' to do the 40k service at c33k miles which i had done.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

if you have had a remap id change the oil ( and filter ) evey 6-8 k, an independant did a service for me for about 140 inc plugs, oil , filters but thats up north.

i`m sticking with the variable service but changing the oil myself ebery 6 k now

cheers for the reply - i'm probably going to go to the Seat dealer (in Bury, Lancs) and get the oil change as they've also said they'll activate the auto-door lock for nothing.

So now the question is - what type of oil is best and is there a Seat equivalent?

Or, alternatively, where abouts up north are you as i'm currently in Manchester... any recommended indies around here?

[ QUOTE ]
if you have had a remap id change the oil ( and filter ) evey 6-8 k

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
if you have had a remap id change the oil ( and filter ) evey 6-8 k

[/ QUOTE ]
Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

well the oil is working harder and i saw the gunk of mobil 1 that came out of mine after 15k its not a good sight. better to change every 6-8 k with a cheaper fully syn oil than risk 17k on mobil 1. just my opinion thats all,

ran a crx up to 150,000 miles changing oil every 6k and never had a engine problem and boy was that car pushed hard /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

exactly. Engine oil is broken down over time due to many factors, one of which being heat. When you chip the car, and drive it hard, the engine and turbo temperatures will rise above stock levels - which will accelerate the degradation of the oil.