Brembo's

JamS3

Reaction score
Iv'e just upgraded my front brake setup to Brembo's sourced from a written off Cupra R. Everything on them is Cupra R ie discs, pads etc.

I'm just wondering from whoever has them or has had them previously what they should be like?

Reason is that I can only tell the difference between them and standard when I have to brake really hard and not just "normal day to day" braking. Is this what they should be like or should I be able to tell at the slightest of braking?

I have the standard rubber brake hoses and not braided ones (they will come next month when I'm paid again!). Sometimes they seem to bite better when I brake but other times not as good....should I bleed the brakes again just to make sure...?

Cheers

Generally, you wont tell the difference under normal braking... Stomp on them however, and then you will feel the difference! Also, take it on some windey roads, and notice that where the S3 brakes fade real quick, the brembos wont!

Rich

Yep, second that from Rich. I can only tell the difference if I want to stop quickly or from high speed. I found the standard brakes scary once I'd had the car chipped and was braking as above.

i dont think the standards are that bad at all, maybe i m not going fast enough

Not sure an upgrade will help you too much in that situation - you might make it worse if you go for a more race spec set-up. On the motorway your brakes will get cold I sometimes find that initial bite isn't great but feel is ok, just press a little bit harder and they soon stop the car.

I find the standard brakes fine, I can see they would fade on track however with mine they've never been a problem on road and if anyone would like a demonstration of what the brakes will do on my favorite country lane I'm more than happy to oblidge assuming you don't mess the seat!

Thanks for the replies. I bled them again slightly this afternoon and there was some air trapped in one of the calipers so that won't have helped much!

On the drive home they felt better and have had a few people say now that you can only tell the difference on hard braking and when they have warmed up a bit, so that has settled my mind somewhat!

Plus the pads I have got one wheel they have alot of meat on and the other wheel not so much so I think some new pads are on the cards to get everything right.

Unfortunately it won't exist for much longer as they are digging it up for a new housing estate!

It's a road I drive along most days connecting Crowthorne to Bracknell, it's not very long but there are some very sharp bends with long fast bends connecting and it's fun seeing how fast you can go. I've also seen a wrx sti on the wrong side of a ditch facing the wrong way before so I'm sure it's not just me that likes the road. Good roundabout at the other end for seeing how much grip there is before serious amounts of tyre squeal / trying to drift when wet.

I think it's the road the girlfriend objects to the most too, but she's used to it now so keeps quiet most of the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Cheers,

Ben.

ps... this is the good bit - doesn't look like much on the photo though!

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?cl...&multimap.y=139

I have a set of Brembos for sale if anyone is interested!

PM me with offers.

[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately it won't exist for much longer as they are digging it up for a new housing estate!

It's a road I drive along most days connecting Crowthorne to Bracknell, it's not very long but there are some very sharp bends with long fast bends connecting and it's fun seeing how fast you can go. I've also seen a wrx sti on the wrong side of a ditch facing the wrong way before so I'm sure it's not just me that likes the road. Good roundabout at the other end for seeing how much grip there is before serious amounts of tyre squeal / trying to drift when wet.

I think it's the road the girlfriend objects to the most too, but she's used to it now so keeps quiet most of the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Cheers,

Ben.

ps... this is the good bit - doesn't look like much on the photo though!

http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?cl...&multimap.y=139

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Ben, never had any real problems on road. The brakes IMO don't really need to be that much more powerful (unless you doa lot of track work), but i must admit they're the thing i like least about the car. There is far too much dead travel and it's the least firm pedal of any car i've driven.

Ben, have you decided what you're getting next? (I think I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

I think I'll be getting an S2000 to be honest, not 100% sure yet as they are having some issues with suspension bushes so I'm waiting until a better solution is found (IE cheaper than the £3k it can be just for parts).

I will then be purchasing a supercharger about 12 months after buying it and learning how to drive properly as it'd be about 330bhp at the rear wheels, how about you?

I've still been thinking about an S2 elise or maybe even a TVR depending on what happens job wise. My car should be up for sale in about a month if everything goes according to plan.