Sky InsuranceBadger5

Thread: sports cats

imported_glen_jai

sports cats

For those of you that have fitted 100 cell cats to your s3. Can you tell me if it causes much droning at cruise speeds (~ 80 mph)?

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status

Re: sports cats

[ QUOTE ]
    For those of you that have fitted 100 cell cats to your s3. Can you tell me if it causes much droning at cruise speeds (~ 80 mph)?

[/ QUOTE ]

No...no droning...

But they did cause an engine check light after a while...and the inability to pass an MOT when chipped!

And gave no additional power either...a complete waste of money really.

5th Gear

Status

Can't tell you whether the sports cat alone causes droning but my exhaust definetly does.
    No warning lights and better emmissions than a 6 year old cat(mildly chipped). Not really a issue of power more of a melting the cat problem with a big turbo.

2nd Gear

Status

I've got the Milltek catback, 3" dp and single 100 cell cat. Definitely drones at between 3-4000rpm. Exactly where you don't want it.
    I, like Glen , have had the ocassional check light, but always have the cat efficiency below threshhold fault code in the memory. Passes the MOT ok though.
    As Glen says though, no performance advantage, despite what some people claim.

Chris.

5th Gear

Status
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No...no droning...

But they did cause an engine check light after a while...and the inability to pass an MOT when chipped!

And gave no additional power either...a complete waste of money really.

[/ QUOTE ]Mine doesn't cause check lights ,doesn't drone and has passed 2 mot's,i must be lucky or it could be that i only have 1 lambda before cat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]Andy

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mine doesn't cause check lights ,doesn't drone and has passed 2 mot's,i must be lucky or it could be that i only have 1 lambda before cat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif[/img]Andy

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the two lambda probes, so that could have been the problem

When I sold the car to David...the engine check light was coming on regularly on emissions.

Milltek commented that it was possible and that they'd changed to 200 cell cats...and offered to swap them...which I think cured the check light issue for David.

However, it used to struggle to pass an MOT...and would only do so on the standard map...both chipped maps were problematic!

5th Gear

Status
    Caerdydd, Cardiff, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

I heard that if you have sports cats to get them nice and warm before imission test and it seems to work so far.

...Watching you!

Status

Im using a single mlltek sports cat, and passed MOT just fine... Thats with big turbo .etc. I took it for a good run first, and got them to do the emissions as sono as i arrived. The emissions were marginally greater than a stock 150bhp A3 with OE cat...Not bad!!

imported_glen_jai

This is a mixed bag of comments here.

The reason for the question is because I'm having a big turbo conversion with Jabba, and I'm worried about the possible cruise speed droning, plus the obvious MOT failure, checklight warning that Glen has been experiencing a lot.

Though I must say that Jabba guaranteed (in words, not writing, mind) that I would not experience any problems with emissions.

Comments guys?

...Watching you!

Status

They've done enough of them....If anyone was having problems, im sure they would have shouted by now!

Rich

Youre Dethpicable!!

Status

What big turbo conversion you thinkin of Glen?

imported_glen_jai

I was thinking of the IHI, slightly smaller p18 housing turbo.
    Prefer less lag at the expense of top end power.
    This would include a front mounted intercooler, and new down-pipe and twin sports 100 cell cats.
    I want to fit an oil cooler too, but not sure if it's possible yet.

I don't want to run the turbo hard. Mike at Jabba reckons I can get around the 330 mark without pushing things too far.

...Watching you!

Status

You can put an oil cooler in place of the passenger side IC, when you fit the front mount...

Rich

5th Gear

Status

There's hardly any room rich for a oil cooler in there rich with a decent fmic.

I don't think the cat will make any difference to the droning you refer to Glen, Depends on what exhaust you use.I wouldn't use the same system as me but as mine is not a daily driver i'm not that bother,p18 good choice,nice and fast spool.

imported_glen_jai

So what exhaust have you got Ryanc?
    I've already got a supersprint street system, which I intend on retaining.

Mine not daily drive either. But I just hate drone.

Any pics, videos of your s3?

imported_glen_jai

[ QUOTE ]
    You can put an oil cooler in place of the passenger side IC, when you fit the front mount...

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Rich. I'll enquire about it come the time.

Neutral

Status

Do you think that SP street system is large enough for 330hp?

I also have that exchaust and would like to keep it when upgrading turbo. My tuner said that it might be little bit restrictive when going over 300hp.

5th Gear

Status

A free flowing 2.5" should be fine for 350bhp. Mine is the supersprint racing system 2.75" and is literally straight through and very loud.
    There is a video around of my car racing the 1/4 mile and on a dyno somewhere ,i'll try and dig them out.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status

The cat shouldn't cause a drone. I have a 200cel sports downpipe and cat on my car running into the standard system.

Its silent, no difference to the standard cat noise wise. The only slight noise is during warmup. Sports cats can sound a little like they are "blowing" whilst cold, but the noise dissapears after a couple of mins.