Question - Rear Brakes

Buster

Reaction score
I will be replacing my rear discs and pads tomorrow.

Does the handbrake need adjusting after I have wound the caliper pistons back???

Any help appreciated

Put some oil on the rubber dirt seals when you wind the pistons backkk
Then after the brakes are changed, just press the pedal and haul on the handbrake a few times...and ir should ratchet back and self adjust itself...you shouldn't need to mess with the cables.

I just did my rear brakes on my Golf and didn't need to touch the cable adjusters.

The only was to know for sure is to try I'm afraid...

Thanks for the info Glen.

In the unlikly event I should need to adjust hows it done?

Like glen says you might not need to adjust the handbrake, but its worth checking.

With the car on the ground and the hand brake off, the arm that attaches to the cables should sit about 1-2mm of thier stops. You can easily see if you look underneath the car from the rear.

If they are out of spec, remove the rear ashtray where you should see two cables leading to a curved metal bar and a 10mm adjustment nut.
Just wind the nut until you get the correct clearance.

I'm having a bad wheel day /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

19042006018.jpg

my related question is that I (as is just viewable) need new rear discs. I was going to buy diamond black ones, will they be ok with the standard front discs until I can afford to get the front replaced in just over a months time? The front have plenty of life left in them anyhow.

[ QUOTE ]

my related question is that I (as is just viewable) need new rear discs. I was going to buy diamond black ones, will they be ok with the standard front discs until I can afford to get the front replaced in just over a months time? The front have plenty of life left in them anyhow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch!!

You should be fine with standard front discs and Black Diamond rears...the rears do very little anyway.

You don't need to ****** about with the handbrake adjuster thingys or at least I didn't just wind the pistons back in, clean everything fit new discs and pads using copper grease where appropriate (on the sliders for the pads etc.) job done.

Nice attitude LOL. Just fit and drive without checking.

I can imagine the look on a customers face if I said that when I was working as a grease monkey!

Like I said, might be okay, but only takes a sec to peer under the rear of the car.

"not all car tha same young glasshopper" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif