Engine removal. What sort of job?

Markb

Reaction score
Right I'm off work in a few weeks. So with the help of my mechanic friend I’m planning to remove the engine, get the 'Bay sprayed and change the cam belt, water pump etc...

What sort of a job is it on these cars?

As my mate has never removed the engine on one of these before, but he's done the cam belt etc... before.

He was asking whether it had got a separate chassis for the engine, but it didn't mean much too me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

So any any advice guys?

Cheers Mark

The A3 does have a front subframe, but it only supports the wisbones and steering unlike earlier vw generations.

Good thing is the a3 does have a removable front end like earlier designs.

At audi they would remove the engine from below, leaving the front end intact, as they would put the car on a lift, but its a doddle for the home mechanic to remove it from the front when the bumper/slam panel/rads are out of the way.

I've done a couple of engines on MK4 golfs and didn't even bother with a lifting crane (does help if you do use on tho). I used a trolley and wheeled it out the front after undoing everything.

You just have to work round methodically unattaching everything that conects the engine to the chassis.

I won't go into more detail at the mo, but if you need to know specifics, let me know.

Cheers Kev.

Yeah my mate was on about trying to get hold of a pallet truck so that we could lift the car off the engine and wheel it out of the way.

Doesn't sound too bad then by the sounds of it.

We were planning on a day to remove it and a day and a bit to re-fit it. Does that sound about right?

Also will all of the fluids need replacing? Anti freeze, Brake fluid etc...?

I always remove the fluids from the engine as a matter of course.

Coolant will deffo need to be drained, up to you if you put the old stuff in or get new. Old stuff would be fine but its up to you. Remember only to use the audi pink G12 stuff. Normal antifreeze won't mix with audi stuff and turn a nice shade of gloopy brown mmmm yummy!

Engine oil I'd just change anyway, but again its up to you.

You don't need to touch the shared brake/clutch system.
The clutch master cylinder can be removed from the gearbox without undoing the hydraulic connection. Just make sure you don't press the clutch pedal with it out. I don't know how you intend to spray the bay. If the brake lines etc get in the way you may need to remove them for painting, but usually you wouldn't need to touch them.

A day to remove an engine should be okay. These sorts of jobs only take longer when you get stubborn bolts etc.

i found unplugging all the sensors is the worst part but with two of you should be quick, engine out is an easy job after that.

Just thought, Lowlife from E38 didn't remove his engine when he changed the colour on his car.

140550877.jpg

An option for you perhaps?

[ QUOTE ]
Just thought, Lowlife from E38 didn't remove his engine when he changed the colour on his car.

140550877.jpg

An option for you perhaps?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I had seen that picture, and if you see in the thread I've been bugging him to show some pictures of his 'bay.

Not sure what to do now.