spacers??

I

imported_velcrobix

A while ago i bought some spacers from a guy on this forum, they are the H&R ones sold by AMD. Anyway, they would not fit with my RS4 reps because the edge of the lip that fits inside the wheel (the hubcentric part) was beveled and the area that it fits into on my alloys was not. This meant that the spacer would not fit snug to the surface of the alloy. To try to fix this i took the spacers into work and got one of the maintenance guys there to put them on the laith and skim off the beveled surface of the lip. As a result they fit but when put on my car i experienced wheel judder.
I made sure both surfaces on the hub and spacer were smooth and free of debris before fitting.

Any suggestions what may be causing this?

The rear ones seem ok...would it upset the handling it i just put spacers on the rear?? I think they are the 15mm ones.

They are hubcentric to the original (OEM) alloys and not replicas, ie they dont fit properly to the replicas?

I use hubcentric spacers on my OEM wheels and I've used them on replica wheels as well.

Was the profile of the spacer the same as the hub? And shouldn't your alloys and hub be beveled to matching profiles?

I'm currently running with just 10mm spacers at the rear with no noticable handling issues. But my wheels are 8.5" et 30, so I don't think I can get away with much more.

The spacers fitted to the hub fine, perfect fit. I was suprised when the spacer did not fit the wheel as i would of assumed that if the spacer fitted snugly to the hub, it should also fit snug to the alloy wheel. As i said though, this was not the case.
The beveled edge on the spacer was slightly higher/ more prominent than on the hub.

When put on the laith, just a small amount of the beveled edge was shaved off which meant that the hubcentric lip then fit inside the wheel.

No idea weather they fit OEM alloys at i have sold my originals so cannot try.

I bought the spacers off Ade_D nearly a year ago who was running BBS alloys and had no problems.

[ QUOTE ]
I bought the spacers off Ade_D nearly a year ago who was running BBS alloys and had no problems.

[/ QUOTE ]

My Eibach 16mm spacers are resonably prominant:

IMG_0595.jpg

They fit into my reps and my BBS alloys. It might be your wheels, are you sure they're a good fit to the hub?

Mine look just like those...

As far as i know my wheels fit to the hub perfectly. I've had them on for about a year now with no issues.

Wheels were from either liegh tyres or rockford tyres, can't remember which, but i know other on this forum had bought from there and had no problems.

I've got tomorrow off so i may try them again. I got them over a year ago but when they did not fit i got fed up trying and put them away somewhere and forgot about them. I was packing some stuff away for my house move and found them.

With regards to the wheels fitting on to the hubs, the 45 deg chamfer on the wheel isn't strictly dimensionally important as there is a concave radius taking out the corner on the hub. Not that this matters, as you mount against the disc, not the drive flange.
Trouble arises when you want to fit spacers. It seems aftermarket rims have varying sizes of chamfer on the inside.
The chamfer on the spacer is there for strength (i.e. not to cause a stress razor) . Thing is, on 10mm or 12mm spacers it also prevents the hubcentric wheel locator falling off when machined. This is because of the depth of the counterbore on the back of the spacer, where it fits over the drive flange.
You can reduce the chamfer size on 15mm spacers, but I would take care on 10s and 12s.

Chris.

Well, put the rears on today and so far no judder (15mm spacers).

Before...
000_0119.jpg

After...
000_0121.jpg

As you can see, it's made quite a difference (the car looks high because the handbrake was still on after lowering it off the jack, not allowing the trailing arm to return to normal position).
Will try the front again soon when i've got more time to mess about with them but not too confident on being able to sort the issue.

Looks soo much better with spacers on!

When I took mine off (as I was part exchanging) it looked terrible! The difference they make to the overall stance of the car is incredible.

Well, just had to take them off again today. Can feel them juddering at about 80mph.
Still not quite sure why though?

Maybe you should buy Forge spacers!

I have some for sale!