Ford Rs 2.0 v S3

keendean

Reaction score
I've got a std S3 bar the H&R springs fitted last week, my younger brother is buying a Ford Rs which I had a ride in yesterday, agile, quick and light.

Its made my S3 feel sluggish and heavy and slow, I don't want to sell the car but I have a couple of options or else he's going to whip me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Custom Remap with Jabba or I fit some Bilstein shocks to match my H&R's.

50Bhp is going to make a lot of difference, but the shocks are going to transform the car too.

Not sure what to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Save yourself thousands of pounds and sell your car and buy mine!

Do you have a 210 or 225 S3 out of interest?

You're right, the S3 is heavier, and feels it. I've been in an RS Focus and it does feel lighter and quicker than a standard S3. In fact, the RS 0-60 is fractionally better than the standard 225 S3 on paper, although I don't think it would whip you, they're so similar that it would come down to the driver. Don't think the RS is 4wd though so the S3 should make much better launches, giving you an edge.

I'm pretty sure that a remap makes the S3 quicker all round, so I'd do that if I were you (I did ... been very pleased). With 260BHP vs the RS 220BHP you will beat it, despite the extra weight. Remember the 4wd accounts for extra weight but pays you back with interest when it comes to quick launches.

Also, in my opinion:

S3 = beautifully built quality racer, oozes class and the coveted Audi badge, wonderfully understated looks, a wolf in sheep's clothing

RS = modern day XR3i, will become a chavmobile in a few year's time when the price falls further

I have the 210 version, I think the RS is a bit chav maybe, but with it running full decat plus exhaust/filter it feels as nimble as a few of my last hot hatches which I'd deem myself to old to drive now. I think his RS is running circa 230-240 with the mods it already has, it did seem well bumpy and not my cup of tea looks wise, but defo made my std car feel a bit too standard and sensible.
I like to do both but I can't afford it yet, I have £200 saved to spend on the car, so I have a little way to go yet. I think in standard form my S3 may be in trouble with the weight diffence, with a chip I may have a chance.

Thanks Imola S3 for the advice, wrong colour though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The Focus will also struggle putting that much power down via the front wheels and apparenty torque steers like a b@stard so ensure you take him on on some twisty badly tarmac'd roads

Go for the chip first as you obviously want the power!

The suspension mods can come later when you have some more money. I did the remap route first and the car will easily cope with the extra power before any suspension mods.

MonkeyTrousers could not have put it better with the comparison between the S3 and RS

Plus the RS sounds noisier which in turn gives a sense of being faster especially when a passenger!

Cheers Jams3.
I could go generic which is cheaper, but with past experince a custom map will be better long run.
I may have to keep a low profile, by June I *should* have enough money /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
If not my motorbike will do battle.

I wonder if Jabba Sport will hold a group by on a custom map?

[ QUOTE ]
The Focus will also struggle putting that much power down via the front wheels and apparenty torque steers like a b@stard so ensure you take him on on some twisty badly tarmac'd roads

[/ QUOTE ]

Ensure you take him on a back road..and he'll quite possibly murder you!!

The Focus has a sublime chassis...OK in RS guise it's stiff...but pansies like Clarkson give it a bad name...I have a stiffer sprung Golf with the same LSD and it's sublime on backroads. The Focus is unruly next to a 1.8 Zetec...but perfectly drivable once you dial into it.

The S3 crappy standard set up will give you an advantage off the line...but once rolling the better chassis of the Focus will carry it...

Put it this way...I'd be quicker in a standard Focus RS than a standard S3 on back roads...

The torque steer isn't too bad...you get used to it...I hardly noticed it....and after 1st you don't notice the fact that it doesn't have 4WD.

The only slight advantage you'd have in an S3 is on vert badly surfaced roads like Andy suggests...but a standard S3's suspension runs out of ideas on roads like that anyway...

Totally agree with the above. S3 as standard is way off being a performance car, but with a few choice mods as you describe, (Billies, or konis,your H and R springs are a great atarting point and a good remap) you should have a car that can handle pretty much everythign a modern hot hatch can throw at it, (new focus ST, VXR etc).

Not bad when you consider S3 is "mk4 golf" technology form the late 90's wheras the modern super hatches have 8 years or so development plumbed in.

However, this is why the S3 is startign to fall in value a bit more than before. INternet pricing of that NEW focus ST at about 17k for the fully specc'd version, makes 2.5 yr old S3s seem a bit steep at 16-18k! I know you refer to the old RS, but its close on performace to the new ST, being only 8 seconds slower in testing round the "ring".

Ok, I am going to keep a low profile, nothing worse than your younger brother showing you up, I've always had the advantage of being older and having a better can than him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I guess with the S3 you do have a good base, but I bought the car to keep standard, as I've spent a mint on modifying cars in the past. I always had a remap in mind which I hope will keep me interested in the car, but if you start spending silly money on the car, then you could of bought a car better at the job in the first place.
If you start at remap, springs, shocks, ARB's, rear tie arms that's a good lump of cash.
I'll let you guys know how I fair after a remap, shocks once/if I ever have some spare cash.
Hoping to go to the Pod this summer too.

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I am going to keep a low profile, nothing worse than your younger brother showing you up, I've always had the advantage of being older and having a better can than him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I guess with the S3 you do have a good base, but I bought the car to keep standard, as I've spent a mint on modifying cars in the past. I always had a remap in mind which I hope will keep me interested in the car, but if you start spending silly money on the car, then you could of bought a car better at the job in the first place.
If you start at remap, springs, shocks, ARB's, rear tie arms that's a good lump of cash.
I'll let you guys know how I fair after a remap, shocks once/if I ever have some spare cash.
Hoping to go to the Pod this summer too.

[/ QUOTE ]
Once you start, it's difficult to stop.

You'll get a remap, then you'll need the shocks and springs to be able to corner, then you need rear tie-bars to sort out the excess rear camber, then you'll realise that the S3 brakes are ok at 210/225bhp but after a remap they aren't good enough so you look at getting Brembos or Porsche brakes.

My advice would be to buy a car which is already modded or keep it totally standard.

[ QUOTE ]
You'll get a remap, then you'll need the shocks and springs to be able to corner, then you need rear tie-bars to sort out the excess rear camber, then you'll realise that the S3 brakes are ok at 210/225bhp but after a remap they aren't good enough so you look at getting Brembos or Porsche brakes.

My advice would be to buy a car which is already modded or keep it totally standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Has to be the best advice I've heard all year so far.

And that is exactly the route it goes for most people with an S3.

For me, I bought one because it's a comfortable and rapid out-the-box car - one that I hopefully wouldn't feel those expensive urges to modify.

However, like after owning ANY car, you soon realise that it can be made to perform just that little bit better by modifying it. And thats where it begins /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keeping the money in your pocket, and putting it towards a more sorted car is sound advice.

Unless you want to modify of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif which is of course, the fun part of owning a car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I owned three Subarus which I could not help modfying, hence I bought the S3 to keep standard and be happy and to stay out of the red, well it lasted a month.
I'm looking forward to the remap, more torque will be ace, I've got the whole house thing with the missus now etc etc, so less cash for mods.
I'll have to do a stage at a time, it will keep me interested in the car longer I hope.
Just going to keep an eye in my mirror for my brother, we work together and share part of the road to work.

I think it's a strange question, I know which car is probably faster out and out, however I know which I would rather own and spend my time in. The S3 isn't about only performance in my opinion it's the whole package that makes it such a good car!

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's a strange question, I know which car is probably faster out and out, however I know which I would rather own and spend my time in. The S3 isn't about only performance in my opinion it's the whole package that makes it such a good car!

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely!!!

Instead of thinking of it as Focus RS Vs S3, think of it as Ford Vs Audi and you've already won!

[ QUOTE ]
I like the stance of the Ford. Can't comment on anything else tho.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's a cracking car to drive...and well styled...aggressive and the colour is superb!

But that interior...oh dear.
Wrong...just so wrong...

Well I got to drive it the other day, suits my younger brother down to the ground /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Bailey DV, Full Decat, turbo spools quickly and pulls very strongly, he's came from a lowered clio williams so he's happy with the suspension and he loves all the new sounds of induction/Dv.
At least its inspired me to get my car sorted quickly than I would of have, and the brakes my god, they got that right on th Rs too.
Not a comparison of the cars, as they are chalk and cheese, the Rs just puts a grin on your face when the boost comes on that the S3 can't quiet manage, yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fingers crossed I get a bonus in June for a Jabba remap.