Anyone tried Eibach ARBs?

Defratos

You’re Dethpicable!!
Reaction score
Website
00626e1.netsolhost.com
Hey fellas, just been lookin for some ARBS, been looking at nuespeed but I just found an Eibach anti-roll bar kit from Awesome GTI, can anyone give me any feed back on how these are in comparison to the nuespeed? if any. cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Eibach do a 22mm front ARB (I have one) but for some reason they don't recommend or make one for the rear. This makes the set-up VERY stiff up front, so you can force understeer quite easily in tight corners. If you uprate just the front, keep your tyre pressures the same - none of the 34/38 that seems popular on this site, or you'll be understeering like buggery.

Neuspeed do a 19mm rear which should balance the set-up quite nicely (should be fitted by Monday - I'll let you know what it's all like).

[ QUOTE ]
Eibach do a 22mm front ARB (I have one) but for some reason they don't recommend or make one for the rear. This makes the set-up VERY stiff up front, so you can force understeer quite easily in tight corners.

[/ QUOTE ]

Force understeer?
Hell...with a larger front and a standard rear it must try to push on even the slightest bends....not a combination I'd ever run.

[ QUOTE ]

If you uprate just the front, keep your tyre pressures the same - none of the 34/38 that seems popular on this site, or you'll be understeering like buggery.

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep standard rear pressures with a larger front ARB only?
No ****** wonder it understeers...
The S3 as standard won't turn in...adding a larger front ARB and leaving the tyre pressures standard is trying twice to assist it in not turning in!

[ QUOTE ]

Neuspeed do a 19mm rear which should balance the set-up quite nicely (should be fitted by Monday - I'll let you know what it's all like).

[/ QUOTE ]

22/19 is a nice set up for an S3...that should work well.
You'll be amazed at the difference.

[ QUOTE ]

Force understeer?
Hell...with a larger front and a standard rear it must try to push on even the slightest bends....not a combination I'd ever run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good tyres help, along with the rest of the set-up, but it's honestly not as bad as it sounds on paper. I was a little mortified when I found out they didn't do a rear, but it works well with their coil-overs (and all the rest...)

[ QUOTE ]

Keep standard rear pressures with a larger front ARB only?
No ****** wonder it understeers...
The S3 as standard won't turn in...adding a larger front ARB and leaving the tyre pressures standard is trying twice to assist it in not turning in!

[/ QUOTE ]

Running a lower front and higher rear pressure should give you an understeery set-up? As will an uprated front ARB.

34psi all round does quite nicely, and there's only really turn-in issues if you do silly stuff into round-abouts. Otherwise it's very neutral.

[ QUOTE ]

22/19 is a nice set up for an S3...that should work well.
You'll be amazed at the difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Looking forward to it, just a little unsure of mixing an Eibach ARB and a Neuspeed one. Hopefully, it'll be all good.

[ QUOTE ]

Good tyres help, along with the rest of the set-up, but it's honestly not as bad as it sounds on paper. I was a little mortified when I found out they didn't do a rear, but it works well with their coil-overs (and all the rest...)

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess it depends on what you are comparing it to...to me...that isn't a nice set up.
The S3 really needs a bigger rear ARB than front...and they both need to be bigger than standard...

[ QUOTE ]

Running a lower front and higher rear pressure should give you an understeery set-up? As will an uprated front ARB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uprated front ARB gives understeer. That's it....FWD, 4WD or RWD...the results are the same...less turn in, more understeer.

The opposite with a big rear...tends towards oversteer. On RWD it oversteers...on 4wd it tends to neutral...on RWD it oversteers.

As for tyre pressures...lower front = deflects more and grips better = better turn in (within limits of course)
High rear pressures reduce rear grip...assisting turn in...makes it want to turn in easier...= less understeer....on FWD and 4WD.

I have never ever got more understeer by running the front pressures slightly lower and the rears significantly higher...on any car I've ever set up....including the S3.

[ QUOTE ]

34psi all round does quite nicely, and there's only really turn-in issues if you do silly stuff into round-abouts. Otherwise it's very neutral.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh....but to someone with a penchant for doing silly things on roundabouts, I want the extra turn in you get with higher rear pressures.

[ QUOTE ]

Looking forward to it, just a little unsure of mixing an Eibach ARB and a Neuspeed one. Hopefully, it'll be all good.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are no issues with mixing different makes of ARB...as long as they are quality makes.
It's the simple spring action of the bar in relation to it's size and make-up give linear results regardless of who makes them...you'll be fine.

...and you'll love the feel with the big rear ARB.

I would strongly recommend 2psi lower on the front!

[ QUOTE ]
...and you'll love the feel with the big rear ARB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Should be an interesting weekend, looking forward to it. I'm also tweaking the alignment to something similar to your old set-up. Off to race some mates at Knockhill on the 1st so hopefully I'll spank them.