Aftermarket Recaro Seats into an S3?

I

imported_Stewart

After going from the Konig R32 seats in my Golf, I was a little disappointed with the Recaro's in the S3. While very comfortable I find myself hanging on to the wheel while my *** slides around on the leather :

I've been looking around for an R32 interior but they're like hens teeth and command high prices, plus i would only want the 2 front seats. I know these fit straight in as the runner mechs are the same in the S3. Also its not a big job to wire the heated elements and airbags up.

For roughly the same price as a second hand R32 interior which may never come up, i can buy these aftermarket Recaro seats :-
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=REC295070580

Was thinking about getting the centre panel re-trimmed with the S3 logo as well...

What are your thoughts on styling and fitment?

Bizarrely the standard A3 leather seats actually hold you better than the recaro's

Has anyone of you weighted your std recaros? I would think that those weight a ton.
I would also like to swap those std recaros to some lighter seats with better support.

[ QUOTE ]
Has anyone of you weighted your std recaros? I would think that those weight a ton.
I would also like to swap those std recaros to some lighter seats with better support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...the standard Recaros are ****** heavy...a real struggle to get in and out on your own.

[ QUOTE ]
After going from the Konig R32 seats in my Golf, I was a little disappointed with the Recaro's in the S3. While very comfortable I find myself hanging on to the wheel while my *** slides around on the leather :

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be quite slight of build, are you?

I find the Recaros fit me really well...with no sliding about..whereas the R32 seats are awful for me...not comfortable and they seem to sit too high.

Are your S3 Recaros leather? Or leather / alcantara?
I found there was no sliding at all in the leather / alcantarta seats...whereas there was some movement in the leather only versions.

Those Speed seats are a little cheap in their finish to be honest, although they are comfy.
Try Recaro UK themselves, they are based (Recarodirect) on a farm unit near Leamington Spa, (Honiley IIRC).
They often have some brand new OEM seats in which are available at bargain prices.
I got a pair of brand new Honda Accord Type R recaros with subframes for a Mk2 for about £650. They are such comfy seats,and mcuh lighter than the comparrable MK4 recarros I have in my MK4. Plus, being Honda OEM, they are very high quality too!
Some of them ended up on ebay, with being a Honda seat, you need to drill one hole per runner some 15mm in front of the mounting hole, to line up with Golf Subframes, (Mk4, M2 etc).
Just great seats IMO, and may be the ticket if you dont mind losing your leccy bits.
Highly recommend the people at Recaro direct too, very nice people to deal with.

There is a recaro bucket seat that you can get in the TT (QS) and RS4 - I've seen a set of these in a S3 - look oem quality too

Dunc

they are - funnily enough they are mentioned in this months Audi Driver - the tt shop sell them - they are called 'Pole Position'

Dunc

my mates tt has the all leather seats and its slide city around bends
my are the alacantra/leather mix and no slippage

There £1090 each for alancantara/leather ,£780 without.
Couldn't find them on tt-shop site,how much dunc?

Dont know, it didnt say in the article. The S3 with the RS4 engine that Kim Collins built also had a set in the front - actually also gives you more rear legroom too.

@ EssThree, funny what you say about the R32 seats compared to the S3.
This was my one grudge with my S3s , that you feel as if you are on tip toes , even with them at their lowest.
I would have gladdly done without all the electric crap to have them a couple of inches lower.

@ Stewart, the ones Dunc is on about. There is a guy from Ireland that comes on here, VST, he had a pair of these about a year back. He's on 246 more though. Worth a try if you're serious.

Chris.

there are 2 seat options in the R32 are you after the larger race type ones or the std ones (just out of interest)

The large race ones are a ****** to tip to get in the back

Fingermouse, you are referring to the Golf MK5 R32 options, i was referring to the MK4 Golf R32 seats which are more available (but still like hens teeth) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

no the mark 4 there are two styles I think, 1 style has large "ears" the other is more traditional.