Overheating Version 2

mr_sjc

Reaction score
Hi All

I posted this a while ago and with the weather getting warmer im getting a little worried...... my problem is that I my cooling fans do not work, the temp gauge keeps rising and the car beeps a lot. Its not too bad if the weather is pretty cool, but if im in traffic for a while the temp goes up and I have to resort to switching on the aircon. When the aircon is on the temperature remains constant so the fans must be working. The garage next door have replaced a switch (a big brass thing with connectors on it) but that has not cured it. Any ideas?

Regards Simon

1.8 T Sport 99' S

Yes - get a full-diagnostic done!

do you really want the car to be constantly near to over heating???

that has to be the best way to completely shag your car.

First thing to check is the fuses.

My car started to overheat a couple of weeks ago, turned out that the water pump impeller had broken into 3 pieces. The cooling fan didn't cut in beacause the radiator remained cold, this was because there was no water circulation.
I had the water pump, cambelt and 2 tensioners changed for £320. Could be worth a look as the water pump is a common problem on 1.8 vag engines.

Thanks for the feedback, I never let it overheat but when it starts getting over 90 i start getting worried. The radiator gets hot and both fans come on when using the aircon!!! As for fuses I have checked the ones to the right of the steering wheel and all seem OK - any there any others I should look at?

Cheers Simon

check the fuses on the battery housing. But if the fans are working then i suspect they are fine.

Ive checked the 3 that are neat to the battery housing and all seem fine. What are these ones for BTW ?

Cheers Simon

Hi Mate

I have checked the fuses and these all seem fine. The radiator does get hot and when the aircon is on both fans work fine. Any ideas?

Cheers Simon

----------------------------
1.8 T Sport 99'