EM TuningVolks Autos
    Neutral

Status

water leaking passenger footwell

Hi there I hope somebody can shine some light on this for me,

A few months ago I noticed a small puddle of water in the passenger footwell. The car went back to the dealer because it was under warranty. When the car was returned they told me that they had found the leak and has sealed it.

A few months later water leaked in the same place so again the car went back to the dealers.This time when I picked the car up they told me that they had done a water test and could not find a leak.

Today water has leaked in the same place again. Has this happened to anyone else ?

There is only a small amount of water right up in the footwell furthest from the seat. It doesn't happen every time that it rains - only now and again and it's quite confusing.

The car is still under warranty and I will contact my dealer again but unfortunately I've lost all faith in them.

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_velcrobix

Re: water leaking passenger footwell

i had this problem. I had a new windscreen some months ago and when they fitted it they did not replace the black plastic strip that seals the glass at the bottom properly. It meant that water got through and ran down onto what i think is the pollen filter and then down into the footwell. After a bit or messing around i managed to get the plastic strip back into place and it sealed it again and as a result did not leak.
    You may find that you have to use some sealant although i got away without using any.

Reverse Gear

Status

Don't know if it's exactly the same layout on the A3 as the Leon but I assume it must be fairly similar. It's a common problem on the Leon that if the cover on the pollen filter isn't fitted correctly it can lead to water flooding the passenger side footwell as you have described. If you are looking at the engine (of a Leon) the pollen filter cover is top right hand side on the scuttle panel, held in place with two plastic screw/washers. Hope the same applies to the A3, might be worth a look anyway.

imported_Stewart

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't know if it's exactly the same layout on the A3 as the Leon but I assume it must be fairly similar. It's a common problem on the Leon that if the cover on the pollen filter isn't fitted correctly it can lead to water flooding the passenger side footwell as you have described. If you are looking at the engine (of a Leon) the pollen filter cover is top right hand side on the scuttle panel, held in place with two plastic screw/washers. Hope the same applies to the A3, might be worth a look anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same problem occurs on the Golf Mk4 platform as well, leaves around the scuttle around the bottom of the Pollen filter housing block the water drainage and causes water build up which then seeps down into the passenger footwell.

Edit : Actually i remember now what happened on my Golf, i managed to crack the plastic shroud that sits around the bottom of the windscreen (Above the scuttle) which caused water to drip down around the pollen filter housing but away from the drain channel and hole (which drained out into the inner wing area).

You can check this by simply pouring water into that area and see where it goes...

Neutral

Status

Thanks all,

There is a gap between my windscreen and scuttle panel which I pointed out to my dealer when my car last went in. The scuttle panel is fitted correctly but for some reason there is a gap. When I told my dealer he told me that it did not matter if water went behind the scuttle panel and that you could actually drive around without a scuttle panel and water would not come in.

I am not too sure if this is true [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

4th Gear

Status

Your dealer is LIAR!! The scuttle panel needs to be fixed to base of the screen firmly. If it comes away then water will definately get in.
    Once the scuttle panel has been removed and replaced a few times it never clips in firmly again. Ive just had to clear silicone mine in in order to seal it against the screen.