chips - im confused ?

cjhill

hmmmmm interesting.
Reaction score
Dear all,

Im confused.

Am i correct in thinking that when you get your car chipped basically the current cars 'computer' gets 'tweeked' to alter all sorts of engine settings ?

The reason i ask is that when i bought my 2001 S3 (210bhp) from audi they said it was already chipped and because i couldnt afford the insurance increase i told them to remove it - which they have. Now i have in my posession a superchips key, which looks like it plugs into something electronic. is this a chip that overrides the cars computer ?

Many thanks

Chris /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

The company 'Superchips' basically just supply generic off the shelf chips that replace the one in your car. Or in this case they simply load the software to your ECU.

The key that you have, has on it your cars VIN number and other details to identify the car. If you wish for the software to be put back on, then they know your cars details and can put the right software back. (or something like that lol!!)

Just out of interest, did the dealer say they'd performed the 'downgrade' themselves?

...It just strikes me as something that's beyond the capabilities of most (if not all) dealerships? I guess you drove it before and after and could tell a marked difference?

Regards,

Rob.

thats right, the difference in performance was very noticable.

Its a good point though, i assume the audi dealer did the downgrade themselves! Who knows - its been ok for the last 18 months though.

Soon be time to upgrade i think.

I agree with AndyC.

The ECU will still hold the Superchips program. All you have to do is plug in the key and activate it!