Track day tyres (Federal FZ-201)

Nick_sheep

All The Gears But No Ideas
Reaction score
Has anyone ever tried these Tires?

The r888s are pretty good but expensive

any other suggestions?

i cant get the yokohama Advan Neova AD08R that i was gonna get until after the track day

the nangkangs get an ok review just a shame there arent that many reviews.

yeah the nankangs are kinda cheaper tyres i am looking more for the r888 kind of tyre borderline competition but not too pricey.

Federal RSR's, awesome tyres. Cost me £105 a corner from mytyre a few months back 18/225

yeah the nankangs are kinda cheaper tyres i am looking more for the r888 kind of tyre borderline competition but not too pricey.
price doesn't always reflect performance.
For 99% of people, track tyres like federal, nankang etc will probably be wayyy more than adequate unless you are a professional driver.

I've had nankangs, fitted by the previous owner, ****** awful, and in the wet you felt like you were driving on ice all the time

Fed f2 2d1

Toyo T1R's or Eagle F1's are very all good round tyres, not sure they make the T1R's anymore though, think they were replaced by the T1S

federal RSR Tread:

Attachments

• federal-595-rs-r.jpg
    federal-595-rs-r.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 352
I've had nankangs, fitted by the previous owner, ****** awful, and in the wet you felt like you were driving on ice all the time
These are not at all comparable to what you had. These are a real race compound tyre. Better than toyo t1rs eagle f1s etc

The federals get a good review also and are cheap.
Also what size wheels are you guys using?

These are not at all comparable to what you had. These are a real race compound tyre. Better than toyo t1rs eagle f1s etc

sorry I wasn't very accurate in my post, I was referring to the god awful nS2's, but those look the real deal.

I have heard the 888's are quite a soft compound and can wear down quickly, as the federal's are a lot harder wearing and last a while

sorry I wasn't very accurate in my post, I was referring to the god awful nS2's, but those look the real deal.

I have heard the 888's are quite a soft compound and can wear down quickly, as the federal's are a lot harder wearing and last a while

I know buddy no worries. Ive also had those nankangs and your statement was entirely correct lol
just saying the ns2r is an actual track tyre. Defo getting more good views than bad. Also i found an interesting link in 5he past Bout them. See if i cant find it.

We are going for 225 45 17s as we want a decent sized side wall. We are not going for the looks of the wheels as such, eg stretched tyres massive rims we are going for all out grip. Lower profile is not always better. Being used for track and hill climb we have a second set of wheels for now so don't have to be road practical but would like a few days out of them. I wasn't slagging off nankangs but no one I have spoken to before have raved about them. I might be tempted to give them a go I just don't want it to be like when I bought some bridgestones for my old golf and it would go round corners. Changed to continentals and they were spot on so always been more careful of cheaper alternatives.

Last edited:
Lol
If i hadnt read any reviews i wouldnt look twice based on my previous experiences with the brand.
Even watched a youtube vid about them as a company. Their enthusiasm is there lol. Be interesting to see what happens as these are still fairly new.
On a side note those new federals look awesome!!! Entirely irrelevant but they do!!!

I'd avoid r888's Nick, they're the ebc green stuff of trackday tyres.

On an a3, they'd just overheat and go off on trackdays. Probably ok for sprinting though.

Fz201's are a fantastic tyre, one step up from RSR's. Ad08 are atill a mid way option, not a true track tyre, but ultra high performance road.

Worth lookin at yoko a048R and Dunlop direzza 03G also

The federals are £125 a corner where as the toyo r888s are £144 each and everyone has said so far the federals last a bit longer. Plus yeah they do look awesome.

Go bigger nick. 235/45/17 fits fine

I'd be tempted to try 245/40/17 but I don't yet know if it'll fit.

My slicks are 240/610 and fit perfectly :)

Only problem we have are the wheels this set of tyres are going on are only 7j. They were cheap and available at the time. I'd love either of those tyres but budget is restricting possible tyres (victims) cant stretch to 190 a tyre

The federals are £125 a corner where as the toyo r888s are £144 each and everyone has said so far the federals last a bit longer. Plus yeah they do look awesome.

Looks like you have your answer then bud. Hurry up and get them ordered so you can let me know if they are any good!

Ordered these tyres so will update once I have used them to let you know what I think.

Do you get Nittos there? They're made by Toyo and get a good rep here and offer good value.

The AD08Rs are the regulation world time attack tyre. I'm waiting for my set of 255s to arrive.

Hankook rs-3 best money can buy excellent dd and track ,dont wear out fast...