hopefully a quickie about a potential boost leak

jasongtr

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
ive noticed under full acceleration there is a noise i can describe as a rush of air escaping, no idea if its been like it for a while as I've not had the car on the road that long.

I thought i had this issue on my wives saab 93 tdi, sounded just like a boost leak - turned out to be a completely knackered flex joint near the beginning of the exhaust, i changed that and all is well.

So i assume my car has some sort of problem, its got an S2k induction filter, forge 008 dv, milltek non resonated exhaust and a decat.

Any ideas

can only advise to have a look around the engine bay for split pipes, or does it feel down on power? although the latter of the two questions may be difficult to diagnose as you haven't had the car long

only other way is to check with VAGCom and do some logs with requested Vs actual boost to identify if it has got a leak

ive noticed under full acceleration there is a noise i can describe as a rush of air escaping, no idea if its been like it for a while as I've not had the car on the road that long.

Any ideas

Your description sounds the same as my issue I've recently had fixed which turned out to be the turbo outlet pipe that goes from the turbo to the metal charge pipe.

It had split and I could only hear the rush of air under heavy boost

if it is that pipe i wish id known about it whilst the clutch was being done....

either way I'm right in thinking its not normal i assume

Should be a 10 minute check to see if it's split.

Take the charge pipe of and then the outlet hose should be easier to get to and remove so you can check.

Definitely doesn't sound normal, as the only loud rush of air you should hear is from the open cone filter when letting off boost.

ok mate ill give it a whizz tomorrow. if i can't find it ill break the ****** car

not sure i know anyone with that equipment, to be honest i bought the car to break it, decided to run around in it for a little bit and up the power and test the engine really for my 4wd mk2 golf build, but having just put a new clutch/fly and 2x wheel bearings that sort of maintenance was not what i wanted to do with the car, if i end up spending more time fixing it that driving it then the car will not be lasting in one piece for very long, if the boost leak is an easy find and fix all good, but I'm not attached to the car in any shape or form and will gladly strip it, the badger5 TIP i bought along with the new fly/clutch will be used on the mk2

Personally then I wouldn't bother diagnosing it now, strip it and a long the way you may identify a split pipe

bumper is now off and there is no sign of any boost pipes with issues, the turbo outlet pipe to the metal charge pipe is also ok, found the pipe that comes off the rocker cover breather that goes under the inlet area totally sheared off, no idea if thats related

fixed the sheared off breather pipe, made no difference.

plugged in my liquid gauge and took the following readings

bhp - 227
torque - 261 ft/lbs
boost - initially 1.5 bar then settled to around 1.2 bar (difficult to keep an eye on it really)

the car as stated in post 1 has a non resonated milltek, decat, b5 tip, forge 008 dv, induction filter. So id imagine with those readings the car makes decent enough power/torque - its not been remapped yet and is on 142k miles.

Last edited:
Yeah strip it! No brainer really

So...how much for the miltek? ;)