New rear screen - loss of radio reception??

stupot

Reaction score
Hi All,

hopefully someone can offer some advice.

In two unrelated incidents, I have had my bee-sting aerial nicked and my rear screen smashed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

When the aerial was stolen radio reception did not seem overly affected - although it was a while ago and so I really can't remember.

However, last week I came out to find that my rear screen had been smashed (looks like an air rifle was to blame as the hole at the centre was perfectly round) and since having the glass removed radio reception has been cr@p - which seems to be to much of a coincidence /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I seem to recall that the FM aerial is incorporated into the rear screen although my searches on the subject have been to no avail, can anyone confirm / suggest a solution?

Many thanks in advance.

Yes the FM aerial is in the rear window. The aerial strips on the window are connected to an aerial lead which passes into the roof of the car through a boot next to the hinge and then follows down to a splitter in the R/H boot compartment. I would start by checking the aerial(in the window) has been reconnected to the cable when the rear screen was fitted.

I thought the strips in the window on A/S3 were purely for heating; didn't realise they were used for the radio too! You think I'd have found something to do with them when I replaced the roof-mount for a DAB-integrated jobbie.

You learn something new every day!

Rob.

I only found out when I lost radio reception and had to strip the back of the car to find the fault. I eventually traced it to the aerial splitter box that sits ontop of the sub

I thought the roof mounted one was the FM and the 2 vertical strips on the rear screen were the AM reception ones.

Thanks for the replies guys, I don't mind stripping down the back of the car now I know that it wont be a waste time.

Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hope you find the fault mate, it took me hours to find the fault I had with mine. It was a loose joint in the aerial splitter box, which once found was quickly sorted by a bit of resoldering.

I'm hoping, as you said earlier, that it's simply a case of the cable not being reconnected following the screen replacement.

Just need to get all the trim off without breaking it now!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif