Successful Fault Finding?

JoeeS3

Reaction score
Well, some of you may already know that ive had my car off the road as i was loosing coolant and had an engine misfire. I left my car with a friend of mine 2 weeks ago befor i went away on holiday for him to get the head off to find out what the problem was (suspected head gasket).

And yes it was the head gasket that had blown, but the head was also cracked. and the cylinder 1 misfire was due to a porcelain from the spark plug managed to get into the cylinder! not sure how that happened but it was in there! anyway ive got these pictures just to show you what it did:

cylinder 1 misfire was due to a porcelain from the spark plug managed to get into the cylinder! not sure how that happened but it was in there!

The side of my electrode became so hot it ended up bouncing around my cylinderand making £££s worth of damage :(

What are all the mods you have on the car dude?

have you honed that bore or is that how it came apart?

what grade/make plugs (last checked?)

It has been bored out, ill try and get a picture of it from before if i can find one.
They were NGK irdium plugs iirc changed them back in november

The side of my electrode became so hot it ended up bouncing around my cylinderand making £££s worth of damage :(

What are all the mods you have on the car dude?

well i think a similar thing happened to mine but my friend thinks i can get away with using that piston but is going to change the rings? Revo stage 2 (needs to be changed as it feels to aggresive) a and h fabs V2 fmic, full 3 inch, forged rods as you have probably already noticed s2k air filter and a few other bits and bobs.

It was in a state when i took it to badger 5 for the rolling road day and it only put out 236bhp and 261ft/lbs of torque

bad times dude..
fresh rings as a minimum... smooth out the lumps off the piston and it could go again.

these are the grade I would be using on your spec. bkr7eix

yeah that's what ill just have to hope it holds up haha!

I believe that is the grade i previously had!

Best of luck dude! Not right enjoying myself in the beer garden without you hooning it past!

I had 3 IK22' Densos drop their ceramics on me years ago... pinged around in my cylinders and pistons.. polished them out, machined them down a smidge and they went again ok..

I would be thinking its been detonating if it was'nt a freak failure on the plug (overtightened on install) for the ceramic to break.
The heat range is correct.

I had 3 IK22' Densos drop their ceramics on me years ago... pinged around in my cylinders and pistons.. polished them out, machined them down a smidge and they went again ok..

I would be thinking its been detonating if it was'nt a freak failure on the plug (overtightened on install) for the ceramic to break.
The heat range is correct.

so are you saying what ive had done wont work?

i really do hate cars at time haha

Just a little update on the work thats been done on the car. It was finished last friday i got it back and bedded it in for about 150-200 miles.

Then i took it for a good blast to see if there was a difference...all i can say is wow! it runs so much smoother through the rev range and is much nicer on idle.

Big thank you to my friens dad vince grima at NG Motors in cardiff! if you have a vag car in this area i would definitely recommend them!!

Hopefully ill be able to get the car dyno'd again to actually see what the difference is!

havent had the bill yet mike, but its around £900 he is only charging me 6 hours labour for the lot! which is great i think!
we'll have to meet up again some time soon!