S3 vs Lotus Elise 111

jcs356

Brum brum
Reaction score
Late last night, and on damp roads, a Lotus Elise 111 overtook me on a dual carriageway. I caught it up at the next set of lights. I know those things are fast, but thought I would have a dabble at the traffic light sprint - expecting to loose. To my amazement, I beat him off the line and was ahead all the way to the next set of lights 1/2 mile later. He tried his hardest again, but still couldn't catch me. I backed off and let him past, grinning from ear to ear.

Just goes to show how useful the 4wd is when the roads are damp /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

That's good going although the Elise should beat the S3, but like you say 4wd can make a big difference.

I had a burn with a BMW "M" Roadster today. Along a dual carriageway he struggled to pass me (although he was gaining slowly) but when I had to change into 5th, he powered past me with ease. Assume that's an M3 engine in a Z3?

[ QUOTE ]
That's good going although the Elise should beat the S3, but like you say 4wd can make a big difference.

I had a burn with a BMW "M" Roadster today. Along a dual carriageway he struggled to pass me (although he was gaining slowly) but when I had to change into 5th, he powered past me with ease. Assume that's an M3 engine in a Z3?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, 320BHP M3 unit in the 'M' Roadster I think....

They arn't trying or they can't drive!

If it was a standard elise and the roads were crap maybe as they would have issues getting the power down, but if it was a 111s or 111r not a hope just look at the power to weight ratio compared to the S3.

[ QUOTE ]
They arn't trying or they can't drive!

If it was a standard elise and the roads were crap maybe as they would have issues getting the power down, but if it was a 111s or 111r not a hope just look at the power to weight ratio compared to the S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why I was so surprised when I beat him away from the line. When he came past me originally he wasn't hanging around so I assumed he was willing to 'floor it' from the lights. There's no way of telling if he really was pushing it 100%.

I would think that he was trying, let's face it most males have a go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I would think that he was trying, let's face it most males have a go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/comeon.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok well he can't drive then IMO, give me his car and I'll show you trying! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

ummm I'm normally the other one, can't really be ***** racing numpties off the line but if someone pulls away like a total rodney then I'll probably go past them at full beans, unless it's a nice car that I'll loose against then I just grin and think my that's a nice car!

ah nevermind, my point is other than getting a bad launch because of weather you should win in an elise even the slowest 111 has a power to weight over over 215Bhp per ton and even in 260bhp remapped S3 you'd still only have less than 180Bhp per ton - the 4WD would help upto about 30 but by time the elise got moving it should pass in my opinion! things may change again over about 100Mph but who knows.

[ QUOTE ]
ummm I'm normally the other one, can't really be ***** racing numpties off the line but if someone pulls away like a total rodney then I'll probably go past them at full beans, unless it's a nice car that I'll loose against then I just grin and think my that's a nice car!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you must be such a great driver and making the most of the local TRL facilities!!! Really enjoying the supercilious behaviour but I'm not sure if you're using the word 'numpty' as you should...a little later in the sentence perhaps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you must be such a great driver and making the most of the local TRL facilities!!! Really enjoying the supercilious behaviour but I'm not sure if you're using the word 'numpty' as you should...a little later in the sentence perhaps! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I can't drive for s/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gift, I do try though, but I just don't see how anyone in an elise 111 should loose to an S3 unless at very high speeds or in very bad weather from a standing start.

I'll also use numpty as I see fit either when describing myself or others thankyou! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

PS... don't even get me started on the M coupe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

most elises i've encountered have annihilated me, apart from the really low spec ones, and they're on about a par.

I'd put it down to lack of driver confidence in the elise.

[ QUOTE ]
PS... don't even get me started on the M coupe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The M coupe beat me good and proper, but I still love it when they only make slow gains, it's like they're really having to try hard. I ran out of revs in 4th, must have been doing 110mph /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif, but when I changed gear, the BMW shot past /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

chipped s3/standard elise pretty similar straightline performance.

A chipped s3 ~ 270 bhp and approx. 1450kg = 186 bhp/ton
A lotus elise 111s ~ 160 bhp and approx 800kg = 200 bhp/ton
A lotus elise 111r ~ 190 bhp and approx 860kg = 220 bhp/ton

So the Elise would pounce all over a remapped s3 for 0-60.
Though power-to-weight is not so dependent for 0-100 times, where I think the s3 would claw back some of the gap from sheer hp.

An S3 is listed in EVO as 1375kg. Throw in your average driver and you're up to 1450kg, and 186 bhp/ton when chipped.

A 111s is 806kg and 156 bhp standard. Again, throw in the driver and you're down to 178 bhp/ton.

Close. If the driver of the Elise is a fat bloke, then the S3 should get it.

My cars data sticker from the factory says 1455kg or there abouts which is unladed weight and I'm pretty sure that doesn't include a person, fuel or pretty much anything else! I would also doubt a remapped S3 would be a true 270bhp but hey who cares...

ps... I beat an Enzo off the lights and he WAS trying this morning. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I wouldn't trust EVOs figures. They're very optimistic.
I use to have an mr2, which they quoted a 0-60 of 7.5, when the manufacturer themselves only claimed 8.0.

And yeah, I'm not sure most remapped s3's would make a true 270 bhp anyway. Most of the rolling road figures must be taken with a pinch of salt.
My s3 was remapped at Jabba with an end reading of 276, but I doubt it's anywhere that much in reality. Probs more 260'ish.

Lotus claimed power figures are usually spot on, or more in some cases, when tested on rollers.

However, straight line performance is only really a fraction of the story anyway. If you've ever done a trackday, you'll realise just little of it counts (power that is). The handling makes more difference. And in that arena, the Elise just poos all over the s3.

[ QUOTE ]
An S3 is listed in EVO as 1375kg. Throw in your average driver and you're up to 1450kg, and 186 bhp/ton when chipped.

A 111s is 806kg and 156 bhp standard. Again, throw in the driver and you're down to 178 bhp/ton.

Close. If the driver of the Elise is a fat bloke, then the S3 should get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

As others have said, look at the data sticker. EVO's figure of 1375kg was for the pre-facelift S3. 1375 was the official weight of the pre-facelift.

mine is 1400kg,although i do have slightly lighter alloys now..etc
at santa pod elise's run high 14's at 95mph which is chipped/standard s3 speed.Even the 111r only managed 14s to 100 which is not that fast considering how much it cost.

wella fing 206 thingy bet me into a roundabout and nearlly crashed so I let him go just wonder what he`s saying to all his mates now. Didn`t help having my wife and mum in the car at the time.

still not too old for a clip round the ear and im 32 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

See theres the big difference.. quite possible to tune a 206 up to give very rapid performance, especially where they only weigh the same as a bag of spuds..

but if 'nearly crashed' had become 'did'...

Which car would you rather be in? I'd rather be in the car where there is a designed -in balance between performance and strength/safety.. and in a less safe car, Id accept lower performance.

0-60 times, and Bhp figures are no indicator of whether a car is fun to drive.. I had an old MIDAS kit car for ages, stupidly low to the ground, monocoque body, very rigid, weighed nothing at all, powered by a 1380cc variant of the MG Metro lump.. and was some of the most fun ive ever had on four wheels! even a trip to the shops was entertaining, it even sounded good.. I could wave at S3s and Elises as they sailed past me.. but wouldnt like to say who was enjoying themselves more! ;-)

Back on topic.. for public roads id personally rather be in an S3 than the elise or a 206 everytime!

Weight is a massive advantage in acceleration terms but only to a point. At santa pod recently i came up against a mk1 golf gti with a 200bhp 1.8t under the hood i got away better(4wd) but he started to come back ,after 70/80mph my power pulled me away to a fairly narrow win at which point i was pulling away(8mph faster) the guy did not look happy ,pulled up and he was saying how he thought he'd beat me with his mods and i just said mine had a few "tweaks" lol