Chris NottMonster Motorsport
    imported_Tariq

temp not going over 69C

Hi does anyone know why my car doesnt seem to go over 69C and always seems to be running cold!

Any help would be appreciated

One more thing i've already replaced the coolant temp sensor with no joy to the problem!

2. # ADS
    ADS

...Watching you!

Status

Re: temp not going over 69C

I've got the same problem! I changed the temp sensor, and the 'stat, neither of which have solved the problem. It gets upto 90oC when stationary, but not when moving. I'm going to change the O-ring on the stat, just in case its not sealing.

Rich

imported_Tariq

mine doesnt seem to go anywhere near 90C

imported_velcrobix

I have the same problems as you Rich. Recently had a service but nothing showed on VAG com as being a problem. Let us know if changing the oring works.

Cheers

imported_Tariq

hey dont mean to sound dumb but where is the o ring located and how do i remove it

(i'm a learning diy mechanic!!)

...Watching you!

Status

The O-ring that seals the thermostat - It should have solved the problem when i changed teh stat, but i didnt change the O ring and thats the only thing i can think of.

Rich

va va voom

Status

is a o ring like a rubber seal ?

6th Gear

Status

I hope that is all it is Rich, how many miles on the engine?

...Watching you!

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I hope that is all it is Rich, how many miles on the engine?

[/ QUOTE ]

6th Gear

Status

just trying to think of other things. Just wondered if the head gasket or something could be causing back pressure and stopping the thermostat from shutting except on idle when the revs are down and less pressure. Its unlikely tho, just a thought [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

...Watching you!

Status

I hope not!!

...Watching you!

Status

Did a compression test the other day - all cylinders were at 152psi (10.4bar) which is pretty bloody good considering that the lower limit is 100psi(7bar). I think the head gasket is in pretty good condition...No oil in water, or water in oil so all looks fine there. Maybe i've just got a dodgy 'stat!? It wont get above 77oC when moving which is annoying!

So, anymore ideas??

Rich

Reverse Gear

Status

have you checked your water pump?

imported_Tariq

hi Finally sorted the problem out!! Turns out it was a broken connector from the control box to the fan.

This was causing the fan to constantly stay on hence low temp.

All it took was a trip to a breakers yard and 3 for a connector to sort it out (not to mention a good few hours trying bits)

Cheers

Tariq

...Watching you!

Status

I don't think my fan is staying on. If i leave the car idling, it will eventually get to 90oC, but not when im moving. Glad yours is sorted though!

Rich

Slowest car ever round the Top Gear track?!?

Status

Dredging up an old post...

My car has started doing something similar in the last few days. It used to run at an indicated 90c all the time once warm, but now it's a bit erratic - anything between 70c and 90c. It never goes over 90c.

Rich - did you ever solve this? I don't think my fan is staying on.
    1997 1.8T || AmD Stage 1 || Eibach springs || Bilstein shocks || EBC Brakes - Gone!
    2006 Nissan 350z GT

...Watching you!

Status
    Nah i've still got the same problem. Don't know what i can be other than the thermostat... If im sat in traffic it gets upto 90oC, but sits at about 70oC under normal conditions... I don't get it! I'm thinking of changing the stat again.

Rich
    IHI-VF34 + RACELOGIC + Parada SpecII = Who needs Quattro?! 0-60 5.1s @ Inters '06

Thought of the month: People need to understand what is meant by 'Build Thread'...

Status
    Unless everything is fine and it's the temp sender for the gauge, or the gauge itself.

Hmmm. Any idea if the gauge and the ECU use the same temp sender?

I guess this isn't worth losing huge amounts of sleep over.
    1997 1.8T || AmD Stage 1 || Eibach springs || Bilstein shocks || EBC Brakes - Gone!
    2006 Nissan 350z GT

Neutral

Status
    Has anyone found a fix for this yet because i have the exact sane problem. Has a skoda garage check the car out and both sides of the temp sender and the water pipes were the same temp so the sender was fine. They said it could be the stat but if people have already changed this then i dont want to replace it.

humm help?

2nd Gear

Status
    My temp seems to vary as well, although if i check the coolant temp using the climate control trick it always says 90degrees so i think the gauge has a mind of its own!!

1999 AUDI S3 | AMD STAGE 2 REMAP | MILTEK CAT BACK EXHAUST | VIPER DIVERTER VALVE | EBC TURBO GROOVE DISCS | RED STUFF CERAMIC PADS | 18" RS6 REPLICA ALLOYS | ANDYMAC 'BOSE' UPGRADE.

Numptie of the highest order

Status
    Adam I take it that is code 51 not 49 you were checking on the climate... which points to your gauge being knackered as 51 is the adjusted temp (that the dial should show). I'd be amased if your car when displaying code 49 (actual temp) doesn't vary. Mine is normally between 93-96 in normal driving and will go upto around 105 on a very hot day in traffic. It will come straight back down though as the fan does it's thing.

Turbo's Rule

Status
    my A3 did the same to just the other nite. normally sticks at 90 but driving real slow bak home sat nite with winscreen demister on and temp dropped to bout 70 deg C, i just thort it was air con blowing freezing air onto heater matrix. and i was going for max MPG. turned air con off and booted it and it went bk to 90. might be the winter drawing in! lol

...Watching you!

Status
    No ts nothing to do with the temp sensor, weather conditions, air temp sensor, thermostat, or any other frickin thing i can think of...Changed them all! Its really odd. Got my oil temp gauge installed now and thats more important than water temp so i can't be arsed to pursue it at the moment! lol

Rich
    IHI-VF34 + RACELOGIC + Parada SpecII = Who needs Quattro?! 0-60 5.1s @ Inters '06

Thought of the month: People need to understand what is meant by 'Build Thread'...

Numptie of the highest order

Status
    Oh... it's a bit off topic, just curious but where abouts did you fit the oil temp sensor, extra hole in the sump?

Status
    Rich - does the oil temp stay constant as the water temp gauge fluctuates? If so that would point to a dodgy water temp gauge wouldn't it?

Mine seems to have gone back to normal for the time being... (famous last words)
    2006 Nissan 350z GT

...Watching you!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by god_thats_quick
    Oh... it's a bit off topic, just curious but where abouts did you fit the oil temp sensor, extra hole in the sump?
    In the oil cooler (where the filter screws on to) there is a blanking plug. Unscrew this, screw in the temp sensor that comes with the gauge and job done!

Yes - MUCH more simple than i was expecting thats for sure!!

Rich

...Watching you!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Timbo
    Rich - does the oil temp stay constant as the water temp gauge fluctuates? If so that would point to a dodgy water temp gauge wouldn't it?

Mine seems to have gone back to normal for the time being... (famous last words)
    water temperature changes much faster than oil does, and the oil system doesnt have a thermostat. I've also changed my temp sensor and the ECU temp and gauge temp match.

Rich

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by god_thats_quick
    Adam I take it that is code 51 not 49 you were checking on the climate... which points to your gauge being knackered as 51 is the adjusted temp (that the dial should show). I'd be amased if your car when displaying code 49 (actual temp) doesn't vary. Mine is normally between 93-96 in normal driving and will go upto around 105 on a very hot day in traffic. It will come straight back down though as the fan does it's thing.
    Oh yeah of course, i have lost my list of climate readout codes, will check tonight using 49. Silly me lol

1999 AUDI S3 | AMD STAGE 2 REMAP | MILTEK CAT BACK EXHAUST | VIPER DIVERTER VALVE | EBC TURBO GROOVE DISCS | RED STUFF CERAMIC PADS | 18" RS6 REPLICA ALLOYS | ANDYMAC 'BOSE' UPGRADE.

Neutral

Status
    All fixed - Jabba changed the thermostat and the car is running correct temp and heating up in no time now. 105 lighter but the car works now yay.

hud at ye bam

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by RichA3Turbo
    No ts nothing to do with the temp sensor, weather conditions, air temp sensor, thermostat, or any other frickin thing i can think of...Changed them all! Its really odd. Got my oil temp gauge installed now and thats more important than water temp so i can't be arsed to pursue it at the moment! lol

Rich
    It's that RS3 front-end Rich. Too efficient. It lets all that cool air into the engine when you're on the move
    [/sarcasm]

Neutral

Status
    water temperature changes much faster than oil does, and the oil system doesnt have a thermostat. I've also changed my temp sensor and the ECU temp and gauge temp match.

Rich
    You might have been so unlucky you got a faulty stat though Rich, because to me this is a clear stat problem when considering all the facts you presented. No intention of lecturing or anything, but please promise me to always change gaskets, o-rings, and sealer washers when installing new parts ( especially at hard to reach areas ) - I've scratched my head a few times too many before, leaving crucial components like seals up for lady luck to determine it's condition.

I learnt my lesson a long time ago, and I hope it's just the o-ring and not a faulty stat you have. Best of luck, buddy.

...Watching you!

Status
    Yeah the stat is the only thing i can think of. I changed the stat and the o-ring. But yeah you are right, It is the only thing that makes and sense to me too...But chen i changed it, the problem stayed in an identical manner.

Rich

...Watching you!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ChriS3
    It's that RS3 front-end Rich. Too efficient. It lets all that cool air into the engine when you're on the move
    Its a good theory! Unfortunately its occured since then!

I'm really beyond caring though....The oil is getting to temp just fine so thats all im really worrying about.

Rich

Turbo's Rule

Status
    i dont think its the stat!!! imo the stat is only there to circulate water around the engine when its cold to warm it up quicker then when the engine gets up to temp it opens to let the water flow round the rad! if this was blocked shot your engine would boil in like 10 mins and if it was blocked open it would just take longer to get up to operating temperature! i think it is just that the cooling pack is very efficient with the lovely cool weather were having!

Neutral

Status
    Yeah the stat is the only thing i can think of. I changed the stat and the o-ring. But yeah you are right, It is the only thing that makes and sense to me too...But chen i changed it, the problem stayed in an identical manner.

Rich

Yeah, sorry. It was a little late and things got to quickly, what I meant is that I hope the new stat isn't faulty so that you'd have to buy a new one again. Anyway as you say the oil temp stays fine so no need for panic.
    Vroom vrooooom

Reverse Gear

Status
    silly question i know, but ive got the same porblem, where is the thermostat?

...Watching you!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by KEF A3 20V T
    i dont think its the stat!!! imo the stat is only there to circulate water around the engine when its cold to warm it up quicker then when the engine gets up to temp it opens to let the water flow round the rad! if this was blocked shot your engine would boil in like 10 mins and if it was blocked open it would just take longer to get up to operating temperature! i think it is just that the cooling pack is very efficient with the lovely cool weather were having!
    No, it should not happen. The temp should be at 90oC at all times. the 1.8T is very efficient in keeping the correct temp. The stat being open is the primary caude i feel. As you say, it being open all the time passes the water to the radiator for cooling... Mine get to 90oC only when stopped in traffic... It HAS to be the stat. I think i may change it again.

Rich