VCDS. K-line, Cluster, Immo, Im a bit lost here :/

CabbageGT

Reaction score
Hi All,

I've recently put my car back together (1996 8l Audi 1.8l 20v). Engine rebuild. Prior to starting this project I had been told that the instrument cluster was a bit dodgy in that it intermittently worked. I've now found this out for my self and Its one of those problems that just stumps you.

I've downloaded VCDS lite. I have bought an ebay knockoff cable "KKL". on test the cable was found but always receives a "no response from controller" error.
I have tried another cable and another laptop with Registered version of Lite. same problem exactly.

I removed the instrument panel, found nothing as expected, but on re-fitment the Clocks have started to show life, including the immobilizer which temporarily prevented me from starting until I played around some more. the dials ALWAYS go dead once the engine is running. (fuel, temp, rev, odometer) but the lights remain active. Before I wasn't getting Oil pressure warning light either.

So at the moment the clocks are either loosing connectivity, (power, earth) or are at fault.

But none of this explains why I cant connect through k-line. To change the clocks I will need access to the key for immobilizer. also the fuse seems okay (#12 - 7.5a)

Can anyone point me in the right direction please. this has become tiresome.

Have you got the 4 digit immobiliser pin code?

Can you access other controllers ok with VCDS (engine, ABS etc?) If you can I would try another set of clocks.

I can't access any other controllers with either lead or computer. It seems like a big coincidence if both laptops and both leads are having issues. One of the leads was actually for a bmw, but apparently worked fine on an old skoda Octavia with VCDS lite. (Registered)

I don't have the 4 digit pin, I was hoping to connect and read it, but I'm having difficulty as explained :/

I've acquired a full version of VCDS registered. It is not supported and I'm reluctant to use it as it may be fraudulent. However I am itching to try it. Ideally I'd like to purchase the real deal. But I need to get the car on the road as priority.

I'd appreciate a lite lecture on the various interfaces as with most things I'm self taught, But
I'm not quite getting how all this works. I've read various threads and articles on k-line, hex, key, canbus and so on, but there's little info on the wiring, and I'm thinking I may have a bad connection beyond the OBDII port. What exactly could cause this lack of connection to the controller modules other than software and hardware issues, which I'd be surprised if that was the cause, though I'm not ruling it out by any means.

Thanks for your reply anyhow. All help is greatly appreciated.
Cheers

Have you tried your VCDS cable on another car to check that's not at fault?

Also try disconnecting the head unit, as aftermarket or later units fitted into earlier cars can short out the K-line.

I'll look at finding another car to test, but I cant think of anyone with a Vag Car who isn't either on the other side of the map, or on holiday for 2 weeks.

Ill disconnect the head unit today and report back. I have read somewhere about this swithched +12 on cars after a certain year. The current headunit is an original tapedeck and the car is of 1996 when they apparently didn't read the head unit of faults, so the k-line shouldn't go there, However there have been so many conflicting opinions and "Facts" that I don't trust this to be correct.

I was able to dedicate most of today investigating the Cluster Issues Ive been having and Also why VCDS cant find anything.

to cut a very long story short, I was able to run a full scan (only after playing with leads, drivers, shaking the cluster about, and messing with COM PORT SETTINGS **Very Important**).

Below are my findings

VCDS-Lite Version: Release 1.2
Tuesday, 22 July 2014, 14:11:33:43890

Chassis Type: 8L - Audi A3/S3
Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,16,17,22,35,37,45,55,56,57,75,76

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Address 01: Engine Labels: Redir Fail!
Controller: 06A 906 018 C
Component: 1,8l R4/5V MOTR HS V03
Coding: 04000
Shop #: WSC 06313
VCID: 2237C2F9BDD7
3 Faults Found:
00670 - Throttle Position Sensor (G127)
06-10 - Signal too High - Intermittent
16507 - Throttle Position Sensor (G69): Signal too High
P0123 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
17978 - Engine Start Blocked by Immobilizer
P1570 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: 0010 0000

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1J0-907-37x-ABS.LBL
Controller: 1J0 907 379 G
Component: ABS 20 IE CAN 0001
Coding: 03504
Shop #: WSC 06435
VCID: 351D09A51C59
2 Faults Found:
00283 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Left (G47)
35-10 - - - Intermittent
00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Right (G45)
35-10 - - - Intermittent

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 1J0-909-60x-VW3.LBL
Controller: 1J0 909 601 A
Component: AIRBAG VW3 V01
Coding: 00065
VCID: 253DD9E5ACF9
1 Fault Found:
00532 - Supply Voltage B+
07-10 - Signal too Low - Intermittent

Address 17: Instruments Labels: 8L0-919-xxx-17.LBL
Controller: 8L0 919 910 A
Component: AB-KOMBIINSTR. VDO D06
Coding: 00442
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: 321732B9ED37
IMMO-IDENTNR: AUZ7Z0T0014304
2 Faults Found:
01128 - Immobilizer Pickup Coil (D2)
35-00 - -
01176 - Key
07-00 - Signal too Low

Address 35: Centr. Locks Labels: 8D0-862-257.LBL
Controller: 8LO 862 257 A
Component: ZV-Pumpe, DWA
Coding: 01288
VCID: 52D752398DF7
3 Faults Found:
01367 - Central Locking Pump Run Time Exceeded (Likely Leak)
35-00 - -
01370 - Alarm triggered by Interior Monitoring
35-00 - -
01369 - Alarm triggered by Hood Switch
35-00 - -

Address 45: Inter. Monitor Labels: 4B0-951-173.LBL
Controller: 8L0 951 173
Component: Innenraumueberw. D01
Coding: 00001
Shop #: WSC 00000
VCID: EEAF66C9B98F
1 Fault Found:
01383 - Alarm triggered by Anti-Theft Sensor; Front Right
35-00 - -

End --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This should now allow me to purchase a second hand set of Clocks and code them to the ECU, Correct??
or Do I need some other information, I've heard I may need VagTacho or some other Program.

Further to my investigation, I ran the output tests on #17 Instruments. at first it responded to all but the Temperature Warning, which I assume is a feature in newer cars. After playing around some more The cluster stopped responding and VCDS threw up an error, So while It would still report back general information on the controller, it could no longer test the controller functionally.

I also got the cluster to stay on with the engine running... that's the first time that's ever happened... it didn't last long though :/

one other question - Can I upgrade to a digital display Cluster at all, or am I stuck with the old model forever?
Im currently using "8L0 919 910 A".
Also is there a difference between A, B, C, D, E e.t.c.. as Ive found a replacement for £30 only its a "C" and not an "A"

Thanks to all of you who have helped me with my project so far, Help is always appreciated.

This should now allow me to purchase a second hand set of Clocks and code them to the ECU, Correct??
or Do I need some other information, I've heard I may need VagTacho or some other Program.

Further to my investigation, I ran the output tests on #17 Instruments. at first it responded to all but the Temperature Warning, which I assume is a feature in newer cars. After playing around some more The cluster stopped responding and VCDS threw up an error, So while It would still report back general information on the controller, it could no longer test the controller functionally.

I also got the cluster to stay on with the engine running... that's the first time that's ever happened... it didn't last long though :/

one other question - Can I upgrade to a digital display Cluster at all, or am I stuck with the old model forever?
Im currently using "8L0 919 910 A".
Also is there a difference between A, B, C, D, E e.t.c.. as Ive found a replacement for £30 only its a "C" and not an "A"

Thanks to all of you who have helped me with my project so far, Help is always appreciated.

To code new clocks you need the 4 digit immobiliser pin number. If you do not have it then you will need VagTacho to extract it.

VagTacho will extract the pin from the clocks, but can sometimes also get the same pin from the ECU too (if it cannot communicate with clocks).

I have coded upgraded clusters with half and full height digital displays in golfs, but not the A3. I believe on the facelift A3 cluster the connectors on the back are different.

If you can find a pre-facelift set of petrol immo2 clocks with a digital display I suspect it will work ok after programming.

Do I need to purchase another OBD-II (dedicated to VagTacho) lead for VagTacho to work, or will it be able to connect via the VagCom lead I already own? To get the SKC from the "New-ish" Cluster, do I just plug it in and scan with VagTacho too?

Is there a freeware version of VagTacho that everyone uses to do this?

VCDS lead unfortunately doesn't work with Vagtacho, but a lead can be had from ebay for £10.

With the old cluster still in place, in vagtacho under the menu top left select 'connect VDO Old'.

Once it has connected click the 'Read pin' button to reveal the 4 digit code. You can do this with the old and new cluster to gain the pin for both.

I'll post back in a few days, hopefully with good news :) Used "tested" cluster and VT lead ordered for delivery this week.

Thanks again JimS3

Following on from JimS3's guidance (Thanks again, your a Star), I've managed to re-code all my keys to the new instrument cluster, this now allows me to run the car with a fully working instrument cluster/ immobilizerII.

Basically, by following the Ross-Tech guide to the letter. Im abit stumped though as I didn't need to change the SKC from the new cluster to the SKC read from the old Cluster.

Following on from JimS3's guidance (Thanks again, your a Star), I've managed to re-code all my keys to the new instrument cluster, this now allows me to run the car with a fully working instrument cluster/ immobilizerII.

Basically, by following the Ross-Tech guide to the letter. Im abit stumped though as I didn't need to change the SKC from the new cluster to the SKC read from the old Cluster.

Glad you got it sorted. You don't need to change the SKC, your car had now taken on the SKC from the new set of clocks.

Your old SKC will die with the old clocks.