Noise from front passenger side wheel

Dee11

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum so hi everyone :)

Wondering if anyone could help me?

I have just bought myself a 2002 A3 1.9 tdi Quattro. I love it to bits, fun car but I have a noise coming from the front passenger side wheel. It sounds like a wheel bearing but there is no play in the bearing, I have also tried changing the wheels to see if it was tyre noise but still the same. I can hear it in stright line driving and also when I corner both ways (more so when cornering right).

If anyone has any advice or thoughts on this issue it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance

hi

I've never had play with noisy wheel bearings, double row ball bearings are also difficult to diagnose by seeing if its noisier when turning.

one way to check, and this is totally at you risk,
get the front end up on axle stands, disable the haldex, front wheels off, then start the engine, tickover in 3rd gear and put a long screwdriver against your ear and the top strut nut in the engine bay, noisy bearing v obvious.

this is potentially v dangerous, so if you don't feel confident, don't do it.

Hi newbster,

I have had the front up and spun the front wheel but can't hear anything, thought it might just be under load it was happening.

I will give this a try.

To disable the haldex would I just pull the fuse?

Thanks

I assume its just a fuse pull, don't have a Quattro, but i'm sure others can confirm

spinning the wheel by hand does not get it rotating fast enough.

actually, wheel bearings are really expensive and difficult to change, you should just sell it to me :)

Thanks for your help newbster think I'm just gonna do a wheel bearing got presses and stuff in work to get it done.

but if it doesn't go well I might just have to sell it to you ;)

Cheers for your help

Did a wheel bearing and all sorted now :)