newbie with tie arms issue

highlanderian

Reaction score
need some advice guys, hope someone can help. I'm thinking of buying the compbrake adjustable tie arms, but noticed they have rod ends, which bushes if any do I need to get to allow me to fit them to my S3 8L

cheers
ian

Last edited by a moderator:
Moved to the 8L section for you Ian :thumbsup:

I used Forge on mine

comprakes are crap
known to fail
compbrake will claim only for track use
avoid

cheers Voorhees , newbie error lol
cheers too snowy, i'll give them a miss, what about the gruvenparts ones? any news on them?

I have compbrake and they are solid as ****!!!
Known to break? So are most the others.not seen a report on compbrake though!?

Im no help fella i had them fitted for me!
Email them they were helpful!!

buy cheap, buy twice

my Bora 4-motion - Page 5 - Members Rides - uk-mkivs

There are more examples

The compbrakes are rose-jointed - no bushes

Forge are the best option

Compbrake are a very dodgey outfit - type of outfit that goes dust and restarts under a different company name chucking out the same dangerous krap

comprakes are crap
known to fail
compbrake will claim only for track use
avoid

Ive been searching for a while to find anyone who has broke a compbrake rear tie arm and all i found pointing toward it was you on briskoda forum saying the exact same thing.
known to break etc etc but no evidence. Are they really known to break?
You then went on to say about the "guy" (very vague) never posted details of the brake only that he broke one?

Not being funny but forge and kw are the same and theres been a good few of those brake

Theres 3 others listed in that second link i posted.
That ok with you little fella?

You asked.
I looked
So read it.
Jcs356 is the guy.
Plus 3 more in the other thread

Its hardly like the coil packs is it all said and done,how many years and how many fails ?

I had a bunch of links from before the time in question (june 2012), but most where dead by of that posting

Threads losts of forums upgrads and the like

Not many folks choose the compbrakes due to the rose-joints - would be harsh onroad

Do a little research on compbrake in general though - renown for poor quality, failures and zero warranty

I've had compbrake kit fail (calipers splitting open under braking) - you'll find others had other bits of kit fail

The attitude I recieved when contacting compbrake was appalling, sworn at down the phone

A common theme with compbrake failure is claim their kit is for track only (they said this to me too) - no mention of this on their website listing for the arms, or any of their other kit

OP's money at the end of the day though - personally think the £100 extra for the forge tiebars, which have a lifetime warranty and good rep

They are what I used, and have withstood yrs of heavy punishment without issue

Its hardly like the coil packs is it all said and done,how many years and how many fails ?

Really??? So i spend 5 mins and find 7 examples and thats a good record for you?
There are plenty more.
Whats odd is that you chose me to prove my comments but no one else?
I prove it and you get defencive. I proved my point there are loads of documented cases.

And if i have a coilpack go at 80mph on the m4 im not going to care as much as if a tie bar goes. These should be something you can rely on.

Now your being melodramatic wind your neck in,I had seen Jasons failure and wondered if there was more I have no affiliation with KW or Forge,the ones I were as good as gold and that was after doing more than your average Audi driver.

Now your being melodramatic wind your neck in,I had seen Jasons failure and wondered if there was more I have no affiliation with KW or Forge,the ones I were as good as gold and that was after doing more than your average Audi driver.
Look, i know its not easy being proved wrong, especially when you called someone out to prove something in the first place.
But leave your toys in your pram for now you may need them later!

Op has the right to honest advice. Ive read failures of all these parts bar compbrake (bar todays)
So really which seem more likely to brake?
Its so known yet i found one and who knows the circumstances!! Hw may have had loads of camber and super low. And at this point other than " this guy had failures" stories its 1- 7 plus

Reactions: highlanderian
Look, i know its not easy being proved wrong, especially when you called someone out to prove something in the first place.
But leave your toys in your pram for now you may need them later!
Thanks for the advice but I have been proved wrong way too many times to give a flying you know what but hey if you need the big up then take it…well done.

Thanks for the advice but I have been proved wrong way too many times to give a flying you know what but hey if you need the big up then take it…well done.

thanks man. Thats all i wanted!!

Audi originally fitted rose joints into the rear hub that the fork ends of the tie arms bolted to.

After a few years the OEM tie bars started snapping as water got into the rose joints causing them to seize and then fatigue the tie arm. Audi then issued a recall to fit a rubber bush instead. Many cars don't seem to have had the recall work done, mine also hadn't when I got it.

The Forge & KW bars that have snapped could well have broken due to seized Audi rose joints. They may well have snapped whatever brand was fitted.

Seeing as Audi did away with rose joints for safety reasons, I would be a little worried about fitting compbrake bars to my car....

Here is a picture of the original Audi rose joint and the revised rubber bush part:

Reactions: snowy, highlanderian and voorhees
Confused as..... Now lol. Are there any more options? I've messaged s3dave but no answer yet

Cheers again, car eating tyres

Im no engineer ok. All im saying is there are multiple cases of kw etc tie bars breaking. No matter why!!
Its only an assumption that it "could" be whatever.
Ive seen 1 case of combrake
Have all the theory in the world but numbers are clear.mine are extremely solid.
Hopefully i dont end up eating my hat!!!
And the same goes for everyone else.

I would check your no longer have the rose joints in the rear hub. If you do, get them changed for the bushes then I doubt you will break any of the aftermarket bars.

Whichever ones you choose, make sure you fit them to the bottom.

I guess if it seized that bad and you are in a heavtly car something has got to give.
Compbrake were selling theres for under 100 a while ago

Im no engineer ok. All im saying is there are multiple cases of kw etc tie bars breaking. No matter why!!
Its only an assumption that it "could" be whatever.
Ive seen 1 case of combrake
Have all the theory in the world but numbers are clear.mine are extremely solid.
Hopefully i dont end up eating my hat!!!
And the same goes for everyone else.

In theory a rose joint would be better than a rubber bush for handling (not comfort) don't doubt that.
I would just check those compbrake joints every so often and make sure they don't seize up.

Great. Something else that needs monitoring on my car lol
Its in monday have brembos fitted. I will ask the guy to peek. They are on the bottom to i believe
Ta jim