Rust. Advice needed.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
So my roof rails have rusted again and I've noticed a small patch of rust near the area. The problem I have is when I first got the car the garage I bought it off did the roof rails for me, this was before I knew audi did it under warranty so I know they wont touch it. My question is can rust be treated on these cars or does it need cutting out? Im just worried that its eating into the entire roof and it'll end up needing to be scrapped :(.

No it just needs doing properly mate, chances are the garage that did it for you just knocked the top off the rust so it's coming through again. We restore a lot of cars and deal with rust daily, we never have it come back as it's repaired properly and acid etch is used etc and we wouldn't cut the rust out of a roof

Reactions: Dani_B19
So why do people go on about cutting rust out and patching the area up etc?

So why do people go on about cutting rust out and patching the area up etc?

If something is rotten then you would cut it out and replace it, but these roof/roof rails aren't rotten, done properly it won't come back, trouble is most people da the surface splash of high build which will hold it back for 6 months and paint. The corrosion needs treating properly first to stop it spreading. If your near Northampton PM me and come and see me!

Reactions: Dani_B19
Argh. Thanks for that. I wish mate, i'm in South Yorkshire or I would have.