A3 TDI ESP, yaw sensor problems

Kan827

Reaction score
Right im hoping some one can point me in a right direction here!

2001 tdi a3,and over the past few weeks ive been getting a warning light pop up sporadically, i didnt think any more of it until this past week, its a excalamtion mark in a triangle inside a circle,then the car appererd to very briefly apply the brakes on the front right hand side and im talking just for a fraction of a second but enough to get your attention...! its done this on a couple of occasions but never under the same circumstances..

I had the car scanned on the vag com system and it came up with a fault with the yaw sensor, the place that scanned it expalined they are not the cheapest of things to buy! i called my local audi main dealer got a price of £500+vat just for the sensor!

Is that the typical price for them? is there an alternative to a genuine audi one?
if i got a s/h one of ebay what is the part number that im looking for?

thanks for reading..

sometimes there is just one on the column, if its the type with 3x then the 2x that are the same are lateral accelerator sensors and the other is the yaw sensor. Best to get yours out to check the part number

the guy that scanned it at the garage said it was the sensor attacthed to to the steering column which is the yaw sensor

so the price from audi is about what i can expect to pay for a genuine brand new one?

not sure if i want to pay out that much cash on a car which only cost me £2k though

there are a few different part numbers for these, i sell them for about £50 (used obviously)

My steering angle sensor has never worked since I've had my A3 TDI 8l. Means I have no functional ESP but it has never bothered me enough to shell out for the sensor and go through the hassle of fitting and calibrating it. Passes MOT's fine and no other symptoms. Fault code I get is 00778.

That's handy to know Jason,looks like ill be racking around on my hands and knees trying to locate it in the morning !

Little bit of an update just had a quote from an independent garage to supply and fit a yaw sensor £679!!

What the hell???
Whats the part number of this and have they diagnosed thisnproperly.
I had a longitudianal sensor issue that took 3 garages and 3 sensors !! and the last guy didnt cure it either. Then me and a mate were playing about with the sensor watching the values on vagcom change. By doing this we found out it was the connector that wasnt making a good connecton.
Be careful!!! Money down the drain. To many garages look at what the computer says and take it as a given!!!

Also has this fault code been deleted and returned?