Driveshaft diameter.

Greg-S3

Reaction score
So I had x2 cv boots gone on my NSF driveshaft, upon inspection the joints seemed a little slack etc so I decided to just replace the driveshaft, so took my old one out and fitted my new OE spec one from gsf, my question is this, my old shaft (bit In between both joints) is smaller in diameter, my new one is a lot thicker (more like the osf thickness) it's the right length and fits a treat, my question is this, is the diameter really an issue? If anything surely it's now stronger etc?
All advise welcome

most likely hollow like the OSF one, good to know as i need new shafts for my mk2 conversion as the hollow ones are easier to shorten.

most likely hollow like the OSF one, good to know as i need new shafts for my mk2 conversion as the hollow ones are easier to shorten.

So it's normal to get a thicker one it may be hollow? How can I check to confirm mate?

osf is def hollow, tap it with a bit of metal and you can tell, doesnt matter really, important bit is that it fits and works

osf is def hollow, tap it with a bit of metal and you can tell, doesnt matter really, important bit is that it fits and works

Osf is hollow, just checked my new NSF one and it's solid! So is it possible this could be causing my wobble at 70-80 and is worse turning left?

it would only need changing if its out of balance though, do you still have your old one?

HAD THE SAME ISSUE AT 3000-3500 RPM (1.8T 8L1 AUM MY 2001).
IT SOUNDED LIKE THE WHOLE ENGINE WAS BROKEN. I HAD TO STOP THE CAR AND PULLED UP TO AUDI SERVICE.
IT TURNED OUT TO BE REVERBERATION OF ENGINE THROUGH DRIVESAFT TO THE CHASSIS.
ON SOME CARS IT HAPPENS WHEN USING SOLID SHAFTS.
AUDI USES HOLLOW TO ELIMINATE THE PROBLEM.