Box and drive train

Drue1

Reaction score
How does the 4x4 system and the 6 speed box hold up with 500 plus hp

Twin plate for 650
Triple plate for over 650
At the mo I'm breaking my 600hp evo 6 and I will be looking for a replacement car and I want some thing small but 4x4 and the s3 seems to tick all the boxes.Will be used for just sprinting,hill climbs,track

As Andrew has mentioned it handles 500hp fine... obviously at that level its subject to driving style... you can break anything if you try hard enough... launches etc will be hard on the drive train not matter what you do...

The boxes are cheap enough if you break it tbh..

Biggest area of failure on 02M boxes is the selector forks...

<tuffty/>

I just run a unsprung four paddle plate with standard cover and does very well

If you want to go twin plate then do so as yours by the sounds of it will be getting a lot of hammer.

Twin plate for 650
Triple plate for over 650
At the mo I'm breaking my 600hp evo 6 and I will be looking for a replacement car and I want some thing small but 4x4 and the s3 seems to tick all the boxes.Will be used for just sprinting,hill climbs,track

More the torque that requires a stronger clutch than hp. Those figures will come cheaper in an Evo I'd say?

Not many peeps here go that far but one of the members here _Sam has bought something that maybe of interest...

Clutch Masters FX850SS

<tuffty/>

Yeah I went with the "Super Single" version of the ClutchMasters 850 as it has great holding power, a bit better road manners than the twin disc and wears better. The 725 requires a pedal stop which is what put me off that, it's also a bit noisier. I'd have gone for the Sachs setup that Andrew and Tuffty run if I could have got the parts cheap, when I totalled it up, I was looking at near the money for this so seemed stupid not to get the 850SS. I've yet to finish the engine to try it out though but by all reports its a nice setup. I went with the steel flywheel too (again, better on the road and deals with heat better).

I also started a thread here on some strengthening parts for the 02M:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/220189-02m-strengthening.html

I just run a unsprung four paddle plate with standard cover and does very well

If you want to go twin plate then do so as yours by the sounds of it will be getting a lot of hammer.

20 launches per sprint once a month but I'm going to start hill climbs as well,Twin plate on my evo lasted a session and a half and its now the plates are ready for the bin
Had a standard box with a RS rear diff as the standard one lasted a week after getting mapped to 566hp
Sorry about all the questions but I'm after a 4x4 small car and I want to see if this will be up too the job :)

More the torque that requires a stronger clutch than hp. Those figures will come cheaper in an Evo I'd say?

Yeah I went with the "Super Single" version of the ClutchMasters 850 as it has great holding power, a bit better road manners than the twin disc and wears better. The 725 requires a pedal stop which is what put me off that, it's also a bit noisier. I'd have gone for the Sachs setup that Andrew and Tuffty run if I could have got the parts cheap, when I totalled it up, I was looking at near the money for this so seemed stupid not to get the 850SS. I've yet to finish the engine to try it out though but by all reports its a nice setup. I went with the steel flywheel too (again, better on the road and deals with heat better).

I also started a thread here on some strengthening parts for the 02M:
http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/220189-02m-strengthening.html

I did love the twin plate but hated the rattle when the clutch was pushed in and £1200 is not cheap £400 per new plate