A3 8L gear problem after engine refit - help please....

waggawagga

Reaction score
Had a replacement engine with 65,000 on clock fitted to my A3 8L after the old one died.

When I collected it from the mechanic everything seemed fine. Sounded crisper etc as would be expected but I immediately noticed the gear stick felt really loose - almost a tad wobbly. Naively thought this was normal.

Had it out a few times since. Yesterday I pulled out of a junction and onto motorway. Got into third and then could no longer change gear.

Had to drive home in 3rd - which was great fun.

Cannot get it out of 3rd gear. Will be going back to mechanic tomorrow. Before I do I just wondered if anyone knew what the cause would be here. Definitely appears related to the recent work done.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

cable ends on the linkage has been adjusted maybe between removal and refitting, if its that should be an easy fix

Thanks jasongtr. Really hope it is something simple and an easy fix. Still recovering from paying for the engine replacement.

id start be disconnecting the cable ends off the gearbox end (that takes seconds to do) and seeing if you can select the gears using the shift tower on the gearbox, if you can its a linkage issue as suspected, if you cannot move the tower by hand (which you should be able to do) its something worse potentially

just another thought, check the metal clips are still in place holding the linkage cables to the bracket on the gearbox, if they have pinged off then that might be the issue too

You were right. A quick fix. Mechanic stuck a new bolt on linkage and tightened it up. All good. Thank f***! :) No charge. I'm back in the game! Thanks for the help.

only if it works mate

excellent news and no worries, i hope the issues i have on my freshly bought S3 today are sorted as easily, i dont think they will be though.