any help required....

dazza2393

Reaction score
Hi.i scanned my 1.6 petrol a3 today with a scanner.it had 9 fault codes.i deleted them all and give it a good run out.however i am having a problem with my idle.the revs are bouncing at junctions and if i turn off and turn back on the revs dont bounc
e till i rev or come to another junction.anyway the code 17700 keeps coming up after if cleared all the codes.also my fans are on when the engine is cold.this gfault 17700 refers to map controlled thermostat even though my thermostat is brand new.i also have changed the radiator fan switch and the temperature sensor is new.can anyone please help or have an answer on how to fix this?thanks.

Fault code stuff can be found here (link taken from the FAQs)
Category:Fault Codes - Ross-Tech Wiki

Probably would have been useful to post the other fault codes too as they may have been related and intermittent

Your code...
17700/P1292/004754 - Ross-Tech Wiki
17700/P1292/004754 - Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265): Open Circuit
Possible Symptoms

Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) ON

Possible Causes

Fuse(s) faulty
Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265) faulty
Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265) faulty

Possible Solutions

Check Fuse(s)
Check Wiring and/or Connector(s) from/to Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265)
Check/Replace Map Controlled Engine Cooling Thermostat (F265)

I then did a quick google search for images to see what this was (not many people with 1.6's on here)
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=M...7B4ja0QWQ0YDYBQ&ved=0CCEQsAQ&biw=1366&bih=667

Hopefully that helps... :)

<tuffty/>

Hi tufty and thanks for your reply and info.the really unusual thing is there are no eml lights on the dash or anything.so could this be the reason why my fans come on even though the engine is cold?

If you have aircon and its on then your fans will be on slow speed all the time...

It is plausible that this fault is causing the fans to be on... if the ECU can't see coolant temp it may just run the fans all the time as a safety feature...

Not had any experience with 1.6's personally so cannot really say for sure I'm afraid... did you scan with VCDS or some generic scanner?... be worth a proper scan with VCDS and posting results

<tuffty/>

No the aircon is turned off.i scanned it with just a cheap scanner from ebay.how much will cost do you think to scanned with vcds?also would it still be ok to use the csr like this as i was thinking of just leaving it but i have a bit OCD with my car.lol

Could it be that the two wires on top of the map controlled thermo are the wrong way round and leaving the thermo just permanently stuck open?i had to make these two wires connect my self as they were broken?or does it not mater which terminal connects with which connection?anyone?

Have you tested this at all? Open circuit means disconnected... If you have wired it incorrectly then its possible its causing the issue...

also worth researching off the google link I posted as there seems to be some info that may be relevant..

<tuffty/>