Changing the thermostat - coolant

dirtychinchilla

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Just reading in the Haynes manual about how to change the thermostat as mine is jamming. It says that I need to drain the cooling system. Is this necessary??

Thanks,

dc

Hmm ok, so I'd need to buy coolant or collect it and put it back in? Is the latter going to work?

After reading some guides and the Haynes manual about the thermostat, I'm thinking that I probably won't be able to do it and will end up having to try and get to a garage before the car messes up!!

Do a search plenty info on here, you can check my posts as there is a writeup I got from another site that walks you through it.
Cheers
Mark

If you're quick with your hands you can get the old thermostat out and the new one in without loosing too much coolant. As soon as the old stat is out water will start glugging from the hole, so have everything to hand and you should be okay

You'll lose some coolant but be quick and it's minimal, not hard to top up what you've lost.

it is a ***** lol... i used a litre of coolant... if your not too great with ya spanners and have big hands just get a garage to do it, be about 35 quid all in i would estimate.