Inflated 1.8T prices + effect of new A3?

Mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm in the process of selling my Mitsubishi FTO and buying a 1.8T. My budget is £12k max and I hoped I might be able to pick up a decent example for this price. I've been searching on autotrader and exchange & mart, but most of the cars seem overpriced compared to the prices that the Parkers price guide gives. I'm struggling to find a car with less than 45k miles within my budget, which seems a bit strange. Does anyone know when the prices might start to fall because of the new A3?

Thanks

Mac

Audis in general hold their value really well... which is a pain when buying second hand!! but good when selling. Have u tried the audi approved used car locator at www.audi.co.uk?

There will be some on there,but it will be hard to find a newish low miles for that little! My '98 R reg 1.8T cost me £10200 in november with 50k on the clock.

Rich

Parkers & Glass's guide have always been b*llocks when it comes to Audi's. If they hold their value, then surely this should be reflected in their estimates.
There's loads on Autotrader for that sort of money, no S3's though.
1998 AUDI A3 1.8T Sport, 1998,
S reg. stunning silver, 41,000 miles, fsh, bodykit, 17 Porsche alloys, pas, black leather heated seats, rear headrests, 6 disk Bose stereo, computer, e/sunroof, windows and mirrors, climate control, foglights, total closure alarm, excellent condition. £10,650 . (07711) 235400.
or
1999 AUDI A3 1.8T SPORT
one owner,38000 miles, laser red, f.a.s.h, climate control, on board trip computer, electric windows, central locking, alarm. carefully used by me from new. 38000 miles. £9500
or
2000 W Reg Audi A3 1.8T Sport
Satin Black, 45,000 miles , 3 Doors. One Owner. Full Service History. Climate Control. Electric Windows and Mirrors. Central Locking. Power Steering. Anti-Lock Brakes. Stereo. Alloys. £12,295.
or
2000 W Reg Audi A3 1.8T Sport
Black, 42,000 miles , 3 Doors. One Owner. Full Audi Service History. Air Conditioning. Electric Windows and Mirrors. Central Locking. Power Steering. Anti-Lock Brakes. Stereo/CD. Alloys. £12,495.

Still reckons you can buy a 99 S3 with 47k for £12k. B*llocks as I said before.

Wow! I must have been very lucky then. Two weeks ago I purchased a 2001 Y reg A3 1.8 T Sport + traction control with 14,340 miles on the clock from a dealer for £12,300. When i was looking around I thought it was good, but i never realised it was that good.

My advise is to take Rich's advice and use the car locator at www.audi.co.uk. They buy the cars in at a very cheap rate for what they sell them for, so you should be able to get a fair amount off the price. Just keep on haggeling until your get the deal you want, leave if you have to, they may call you back a couple of days later. It pays to go to a few dealers aswell. The more practice you get the better the deal!

Good luck with your search /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You're not gonna get a good deal from Audi, they naturally charge 15% over buying private

i have just bought a brand new 1.8t sport for £14k otr from
http://www.bonsaicars.com/New_Car2/
imported from cyprus but wtf i love it :)

so beg borrow or steal another 2 grand and fill your boots son.

tp&n

you HAVE to haggle with main and used car dealers, especially if you are a cash buyer. Never underestimate the fact a car on their forecourt is costing them money every week it sits there.

To give you an example I bought a early 2002 1.8 T Sport two weeks ago, with very low milage for £11,750 (sticker price was £13000). Hold out and set yourself a limit, if they dont drop enough, walk away. There's always another car. Pay the right price now and let someone else pay most of the depreciation!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Leddy