Dash cam

eightfour7two

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone had installed a dash cam on their 8L. If so, where did you run the wires?

Theres one on Amazon for around £35 which looks like a steal for the video quality!

Cheers!

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the dash cam. Figured I'd take some pics documenting how I installed it incase someone wants to do the same. Was really simple and the end result is nice and tidy with no exposed wires or anything...

I went for the G1WH which is a little more expensive at £39. But that's the same price as about 3 screws from Audi so what the hey! The 'H' version seems to have a wider angle lens (140deg instead of 120) and has the lens painted black which is more discrete I suppose.

JG0whofl.jpg

Here's what you get in the box. The manual is very engrish!

2nA3jmMl.jpg

Menus are fine, the screen turns off after a little while so it doesn't distract you whilst driving

12p1040l.jpg

The suction cup is really strong, don't foresee this falling off the windscreen too quick. The T-slot that joins the camera to the mount is probably this dash cam's biggest weakness; I might make myself a metal replacement at some point.

erhYP08l.jpg

I've mounted the camera behind the rear-view mirror as tight as I can, it's positioned slightly to the left so avoid interfering with the mirror mount. The USB power cable tucks into the headliner easily.

Im4UQfCl.jpg

View from the drivers position. The camera is barely visible behind the mirror, not a distraction in the slightest!

s4WsWCQl.jpg

A-pillar trim pops off easily to route the power cable down past the fuse box.

0ELtA4Pl.jpg

Trim replaced

8G70XTAl.jpg

So originally I was going to buy a piggyback fuse splitter and run from the fusebox, but it turns out a ignition live is a PITA to get on the CANBUS S3s, so I went for the 75X yellow terminal in the footwell instead. This is the circuit I made up: Marine 12V socket on one side and an in-line blade fuse holder on the other

6kC544Sl.jpg

The circuit in place. Fuse is connected to the 75X ignition live and grounded on some bodywork.

nSKluBpl.jpg

Coiled up the excess USB wire and cable tied tight. The plug and socket are stuck to the bodywork next to the fusebox with some ultra strength double sided tape, seems pretty secure and won't leave a mess if I ever take it out.

T9vNHW6l.jpg

The camera is pretty discrete. In my garage it stands out a bit because of the lighting, but out-and-about you're hard pressed to notice is at a glance

u2YN7JGl.jpg

w2VldFhl.jpg

LXZNIdtl.jpg

9U6EPfyl.jpg

View from driving position. Barely notice the camera at all!

And here's some extremely boring video of me driving around Swansea. The quality is outstanding for £40, can pick out every numberplate in 1080p! Youtube has compressed the video a bit so it's not quite as good as it look on the PC.

All in all a solid addition I think! Was £45 all-in and might save me some nasty insurance trouble someday! Bit of soap and wax as a reward and we're golden!
nUlJMps.jpgl

(Full resolution album here)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: WorkInProgress, JOSE8LT and rupe
That looks great and a nice write up to :icon_thumright:

nice, how does the memory work, guessing it stores a few hours then re-writes over it?

Pretty much. I bought a 16GB memory card which seems to store around 4 or 5 hours of video before writing over the old stuff

Nice work. Do you have to set it up each time you drive off or does it just begin recording when you start the engine?

It starts recording as soon as the ignition is turned. Wired right into the ignition live

Hi,
Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer discounts for a range of in-car cameras.
Regards,
Dan.

Hi,
Just to let you know that a number of our insurance schemes offer discounts for a range of in-car cameras.
Regards,
Dan.

Hey Dan, is the G1W range of dash cams included in that list? Seems to be the most popular camera, and I happen to be insured with you!

Hey Dan, is the G1W range of dash cams included in that list? Seems to be the most popular camera, and I happen to be insured with you!

Hi,

Here is the most up to date list of car cameras that can qualify for a discount on our policies:

· Black Vue – 380 & 400 G.HD
· ChilliBongo
· Exeros HD Car Cameras (the following models are currently available from Exeros)
o Akenori Car Camera
o Cube 3 Car Camera
o DriverEye Car Camera
o HawkEye HD Car Camera
o HawkEye Duo HD Car Camera
o Raptor Nano System
· ForView FHX 2000 & FHX 1000
· IPIXI
· MI Witness HD Camera
· Next Base InCarCam – Lite / Deluxe / Professional Models
· Novus System – View I Ruby and Silver Systems
· Phantom Cameras
· Roadhawk Forward Facing DC1
· Rollei CarDVR-110
· Rollei CarDVR-100
· Rollei CarDVR-70
· Silent Witness SW001
· Silent Witness SW010
· SmartCam2
· Smart Witness Cameras
· TTW Black Vue Cameras
· VCAM

Unfortunately the G1W range isn't currently listed, as a broker we are always looking at getting additional cameras added so watch this space.

I will say though no matter what camera you have, mention it - Any camera is better than no camera! & the insurers may give a discount.

Thanks
Dan.

Hi Dan, why don't you just add the G1W range then?

and @eightfortwo....how do you take stills with it?... Looks cool!

Last edited:
I'm trying to do the same thing with my 8P but what's the solution of getting the cable along the headlining before down the A pillar? Does the edge of the headlining just lift away or is there more to it, it seems pretty solid on mine.
Cheers

Just pull gently on the edge of the headlining and feed the wire in with your fingertips.