Help - Serious wear on the inside edges of front tyres.

noodle

Reaction score
Morning all

I had my S3 MOT'd on Friday last week and it was noted that the front tyres had excessive wear on the inside edges. I told the chap that I thought this was odd as I'd paid Audi, about 3 - 4 months ago, to track the car on their 'laser' machine! (which cost nearly £100 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif)

So he showed me and indeed the inside edge, about 1 inch, is completely worn, almost bald on both front tyres (which are ZZ3's) which I've had on the car about 7-8 months. The rest of the tred looks fine.

I've thought about phoning Audi, but first thought I see if anybody else has had the same problem???

Your help is appreciated.
Rgds
N

I had the same problem a while ago. my tyres were wearing on the inner edges the near side being the worst. So I took it to my Audi dealer who set it all up I had two new tyres fitted and after another 3000 miles I noticed they were nearly bald again.

From what I can remember I took it back and they had another go. But the the car was still pulling (another reason why I took it in) They never managed to sort it out so I ended up taking it to a friends garage who set it up. Its prob the best its been now.

Good luck

I had this on my 1.8T. I got tracking done at a decent independent tracking/tyres place (Merrow tyres in Farnham) and I never saw uneven tyre wear again.

Chances are that if you take it back to Audi they'll say "you must have hit a kerb and messed up the tracking", and will want to charge you for Beissparth alignment again, and they'll probably get it wrong again.

I pay about 25 quid to get tracking done, and used to get it done about once a year, and I think it definitely prolonged tyre life.

if your car is lowered at all you will be wearing the inside edges. this can be corrected at the front by a decent 4 wheel alignement place but the rear will need adjustable tie bars fitted to allow for adjustment.

mine did the same and although i havent had the tie bars fitted i have had the car 4 wheel aligned (to Ess_Three's spec /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) so will see how the tyre wear is from now on with the new pilot sport 2s on..

[ QUOTE ]
i have had the car 4 wheel aligned (to Ess_Three's spec /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif) so will see how the tyre wear is from now on with the new pilot sport 2s on..

[/ QUOTE ]
Glen's bespoke settings are too extreme for most people IMO.

For the majority of people who lower their car, having the geometry re-set as per Audi spec is sufficient.

Cheers fellas,

I've spoken to Audi and initially the service person I spoke with seem very dismissive, but after speaking with the service manager he said that if the tyre tread was apporx 2mm, then this wear could be expected, however if about 3mm+ then it could be a problem and they's have the car in for a look.

So, just need to find a tyre tread gauge now!

Thanks again for your comments..
N

I have to say I have found Glenn's settings very good, the car feels lighter and more alive, the car is on factory lowered springs and it would seem the dampers are not up to that setup - bilsteins are the next step to really get the car handling as it should.

[ QUOTE ]
I have to say I have found Glenn's settings very good, the car feels lighter and more alive, the car is on factory lowered springs and it would seem the dampers are not up to that setup - bilsteins are the next step to really get the car handling as it should.

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't quite remember the full extent of the settings but if you don't drive the car hard - your tyres won't last very long. Which is ok if you are like Glen and you want outright performance at any cost, however most people use their car for day to day commuting as well as the odd blast on country roads. The camber and toe settings that were posted are very aggressive and suited Glen's style of driving.

Audi's factory settings are for Mr Average.
Glen's settings are for the extreme, because he drives his cars very hard.

A setting somewhere inbetween will be more like what most forum members are looking for.

[ QUOTE ]
Glen's bespoke settings are too extreme for most people IMO.

For the majority of people who lower their car, having the geometry re-set as per Audi spec is sufficient.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree...
They are fine for anyone who actually drives the damn thing...by that I mean corners at speed...not town driving or long motorway runs all day long.

If driving on dual carridgeways / motorways all day...or a town car...then potentially you'll wear the inside edges.

But running lower tyre pressures than standard (as I suggest at the front) and driving the car won't kill the inside edges like is being suggested.

I run -1.8 degrees on my Golf...and still have absolutely perfect, even tyre wear....and it's my run-about so spends lots of time in town or on long runs.

However...running too much toe out WILL kill the inside edges quickly...far more quickly than lots of negative camber.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't quite remember the full extent of the settings but if you don't drive the car hard - your tyres won't last very long.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, I disagree...
Assuming you didn't drive the car hard, you'd still wear the inside edges of the tyres...hammering about only wears the outsides (srcubs them off) and equals up tyre wear.
My tyres had done 10000 ish miles and were absolutely even accross the tread...a sign to me that the negative camber WASN'T killing the inside edges or they'd have been killed many miles before....

I've never said you get something for nothing...of course having more grip will wear tyres quicker...because you drive quicker! But, the negative camber you get from an S3 with lowering springs and the balljoints pulled out shouldn't kill tyres. Too much toe out added to negative camber will though...

[ QUOTE ]

Which is ok if you are like Glen and you want outright performance at any cost, however most people use their car for day to day commuting as well as the odd blast on country roads.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst I agree to some degree...I didn't have that car set up as aggressively as I could. I still used the damned thing...

[ QUOTE ]

The camber and toe settings that were posted are very aggressive and suited Glen's style of driving.

[/ QUOTE ]

True...but the fact that they added sufficient grip to allow that style of driving is testament to the gains you can get.

[ QUOTE ]

Audi's factory settings are for Mr Average.
Glen's settings are for the extreme, because he drives his cars very hard.

A setting somewhere inbetween will be more like what most forum members are looking for.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fair point...although personally I'd still go for the negative camber...but perhaps with parallel toe if I was bothered about wear.

However, I honestly can't see this type of wear being caused by negative camber if it's set correctly...
The last 5 cars I've set up, have bween set with an absolute minimum of -1.5 degrees of negative camber (even on commuting cars) and the tyre wear has been equal.

Sorry... I should have made my point a bit clearer.

I was never doubting the camber figure, what I was debating was the extent of toe out that you had on your S3 - which I feel is too much for most people.

As you suggested above, dial in negative camber (between -1.0 or -1.5) but for most parrallel toe is ample.

Does that make more sense?