Longer than usual to start

ozzy786

Reaction score
So the last couple days my s3 has been taking a little longer to start then usual, not just when cold, even when up to temperature. Before it would start instantly, now it takes a few more spins. Is this a cause for concern? The car has had a full service recently including spark plugs, fuel filter etc.
I have regularly been putting V-power in, but this tank i put regular fuel in as i was too far from a shell garage, could this be the reason? Also, do you guys generally use V-power or regular fuel? Is there any real difference in these cars?

Thanks!

So the last couple days my s3 has been taking a little longer to start then usual, not just when cold, even when up to temperature. Before it would start instantly, now it takes a few more spins. Is this a cause for concern? The car has had a full service recently including spark plugs, fuel filter etc.
I have regularly been putting V-power in, but this tank i put regular fuel in as i was too far from a shell garage, could this be the reason? Also, do you guys generally use V-power or regular fuel? Is there any real difference in these cars?

Thanks!

Hi mate!
I've been using v-power on regular basis on my Tdi and have seen that it starts better when cold, like really quickly compared to normal diesel. Haven't had any problems on temperature though.
Would have thought that are then spark plugs but you said that they were changed... Don't know really.

Only use Shell V power tbh....

IIRC the handbook and inside the fuel filler cap recommends using at least 97 RON - otherwise performance will be lost. You can run it on 95 - but won't perform as it should and bhp will be lost.

V power and Tesco Momentum are both 99 RON and also I have the Shell app on my phone to make sure there is always a station near by and so that I can always build my points up to get free fuel vouchers in the post :)

Put some premium fuel in and if you still have the same problem then it could be the fuel pump on its way out. There are a few threads floating about on how to remove/replace it if so.

Kwistof, he does normally use V Power by the looks of it, just put normal in on this occasion.

I dont think it will be that Ozzy, I always use Vpower in my car, as Kwistof mentions it does say in the handbook to use 97RON and above and on occasion I have had to use normal Shell fuel when they have run out or on a couple of occasions, there has been supply issues.

The car has always been fine and normally takes a couple of tanks to readjust.

Is your battery ok on the car, is there anything draining it somehow, causing it to slow the start up.

With regards to the fuel pump, have you noticed a strange humming/buzzing noise when the car is on, that normally indicates that the pump is on its way out, mine used to do that until it eventually died.

Keep us posted.