Where can I pick up boost gauge off shelf??

mini-si

Reaction score
Hi all,

after recently fitting a new welly type FMIC to my s3 I feel as though I may have a very slight boost leak. I have no boost gauge to check weather the boost is tailing off but it seems as though it is.
Boost comes on strong as it did before FMIC but within half a second it just doesn't seem to pull quite as hard as it did. Car has a stage 1 map, badger5 TIP, miltek cat back and green cotton panel filter.
Could do with a boost gauge ASAP to check boost pressure.

Hi all,

after recently fitting a new welly type FMIC to my s3 I feel as though I may have a very slight boost leak. I have no boost gauge to check weather the boost is tailing off but it seems as though it is.
Boost comes on strong as it did before FMIC but within half a second it just doesn't seem to pull quite as hard as it did. Car has a stage 1 map, badger5 TIP, miltek cat back and green cotton panel filter.
Could do with a boost gauge ASAP to check boost pressure.

Down to Halfords, or if you can wait for it to be delivered, get a "liquid gauge".

Down to Halfords, or if you can wait for it to be delivered, get a "liquid gauge".

Liquid gauge a little pricy tbh. Doubt I'll use half the functions it's capable of. Looking to visit bill at badger 5 soon for stage 2 so saving the pennies. But want her in good health before he unleashes magic on her.
Will pop in halfords today but couldn't find a boost gauge on their website

Mechanical boost gauge is preferable to a Liquid Gauge IMO... having owned both the liquid is ok for diagnostics but not so good as a boost gauge... works from the MAP sensor data so won't show vacuum in 'MAP' map and only shows the max the MAP sensor can see so 22psi... not much good if you have a faulty N75 casuing a boost spike of 27psi really..

AGU mode will show more boost and vacuum too but... its a calculated value and not massively accurate... its based on airflow which won't help if you have a boost leak...

Get a decent mechanical gauge for boost... personally I would rather spend money on VCDS before a liquid gauge and no disrespect to Liquid or Jim but its a little bit old now and there are better products out there and cheaper ways to get visibility on ECU data like the Torque app for Android etc..

If I hadn't had to fork out for new valves I would be tempted by this personally..

FIS-Control

<tuffty/>

Stack gauges are nice and can be made to look OE... have a look in the FAQ's as there are a few boost gauge threads linked to there

<tuffty/>

Tuffty whilst your online mate,
Quick question.
I'm going stage 2 in a few weeks but plan on going the oem plus hybrid route in the future looking maybe early next year now. Am I right in saying a hybrid will still mate to my stage 2 parts? Ie 3" downpipe/decat? Badger5 TIP?

Tuffty whilst your online mate,
Quick question.
I'm going stage 2 in a few weeks but plan on going the oem plus hybrid route in the future looking maybe early next year now. Am I right in saying a hybrid will still mate to my stage 2 parts? Ie 3" downpipe/decat? Badger5 TIP?

Yarp...

Welcome to the slippery slope... :)

<tuffty/>

Slippery slop you say!

Whys that then tuffty?

Am I going to end up with a money pit?

So am I alright to go stage 2 with the chance of me going hybrid in the future?
Or am I wise to just save my money and go straight to hybrid once I can afford it?

So am I alright to go stage 2 with the chance of me going hybrid in the future?
Or am I wise to just save my money and go straight to hybrid once I can afford it?

Depends when you anticipate being able to afford it mate... Stage 2 with the prerequisite mods will serve you well until you can afford to go hybrid... remember that when you go hybrid its advised to fit rods so factor that in too..

<tuffty/>

Last edited:
Yeh I realise I must factor in rods, that's why I got to save a while. I'm going to ring badger5 tomorrow and see if I can get booked in for the 19th July. Fingers crossed. I'll be well chuffed if I could crack a healthy 280bhp.

Not sure if you got this sorted but I paid £16 including postage for a mechanical boost gauge for the Bay and fitted it to my Audi A4 Diesel as have some low down lack of boost i'm trying to diagnose. I fitted a threaded nipple into my inlet manifold and fitted in my lower dash cubby hole. I ended up buying VCDS which has confirmed my £16 boost gauge is pretty spot on despite the price. Next day delivered too.

My point is you can get a cheap one that'll help out without going the route of Defi / Blitz, etc expense. Or just get someone with VCDS to log / monitor your boost for you.

Here's the link (I hate it when someone says they brought something then don't say where from..)
Boost Gauge, Volt Gauge items in Aggressive gauges ltd store on eBay!

Last edited: