Water pumps

Swervedriver

Reaction score
Read a couple threads, regarding water pumps. Which is best for replacement? New Audi plastic impeller, or go for the metal one. Read a few times, that people have experienced leaks with the metal one.

Cheers

Craig.

I just replaced mine with oem. I think I remember reading on here that audi revisited the pump design for the plastic impeller so it should be good to go.

plastic one is fine so long as it's changed every time the cam-belt is changed... If it's not the impeller gets brittle and basically ends up falling apart!

The other month we had a Leon TDI in with cambelt failure resulting in a seriously mashed piston!... Engine was removed, rebuilt and put back in the car. When we rebuilt the engine we used a metal FAI water pump.

After literally 9 miles the car was seriously over-heating. We scratched out heads, did some tests and everything pointed towards water pump. Surely this is not possible after only 9 miles!? Either way, the pump had to come out. As soon as I removed the pump the impeller literally fell off the shaft!!!!!

A slightly unrelated and long winded story but if anything another reason NOT to go for a metal pump!..

Last edited:
plastic one is fine so long as it's changed every time the cam-belt is changed... If it's not the impeller gets brittle and basically ends up falling apart!

The other month we had a Leon TDI in with cambelt failure resulting in a seriously mashed piston!... Engine was removed, rebuilt and put back in the car. When we rebuilt the engine we used a metal FAI water pump.

After literally 9 miles the car was seriously over-heating. We scratched out heads, did some tests and everything pointed towards water pump. Surely this is not possible after only 9 miles!? Either way, the pump had to come out. As soon as I removed the pump the impeller literally fell off the shaft!!!!!

A slightly unrelated and long winded story but if anything another reason NOT to go for a metal pump!..

Great info, cheers.