AP Coilovers

leeds2592

When I grow up, I want a 964!
Reaction score
Hi all,

So, I'm getting an S3 in the next couple of months and already looking to lower it.

I've got AP's on my 8P A3 at the moment and although I rate them highly, I just wished they went 10mm or so lower. From the photos I've seen, this seems to be the case with the 8L's.

Has anyone got any pics of AP's as low as they can go with and without the adjuster in the back on their S3?

Thanks

Not a bad budget coilover, run a set on my B5 A4. Only critiscm would be they are a bit soft still for track.

Don't worry about slamming it you'll only ruin what is a great car and only the kids will be impressed, just get them on and set up right and enjoy the enhanced handling benefits. I highly recomend spending a few quid getting the car corner weighted.

Wouldn't be going anywhere near a track so that's not a problem. And considering I'm only 22, I'm probably one of the kids :p

As said, love AP's on my 8P but just want it that touch lower so there's no arch gap at all.

Im looking into some new coilovers for my s3 and the ap's are around 500 but then for 600 you can get the spax's which have damping adjustment too and seem a better quality coilover.. think im going for the spaxs

It sounds odd.

No arch gap is never fun on a daily, been there done that.

You want no arch gap, fit air ride and so it properly.

Give me £3k+ for the kit and fitting and I will.

Have you seen AP's on an A3/S3? (Genuine question, not meant to sound sarcastic) If so, you'll know what I'm talking about. If they just went another 5-10mm lower, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

The below thread kinda backs up my feeling.

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/144198-anybody-running-ap-coilovers.html

18 inch wheels, some spacers and maximum drop on AP's which is around 50mm IIRC would be more than enough lows for you to fit into the scene crew :p

My Avatar shows my car on APs with about a 25mm drop and also in my album pics (which is the lowest you can go without having adjustable tie arms to correct the camber....any lower than that and you will run incorrect camber and be placing a huge amount of stress on the OEM tie arms and bushes)

kwistof's Album: My Car

Im looking into some new coilovers for my s3 and the ap's are around 500 but then for 600 you can get the spax's which have damping adjustment too and seem a better quality coilover.. think im going for the spaxs

AP all day long for me over the Spax.

Damian @ DPM Performance

Reactions: limbo118118
18 inch wheels, some spacers and maximum drop on AP's which is around 50mm IIRC would be more than enough lows for you to fit into the scene crew :p

My Avatar shows my car on APs with about a 25mm drop and also in my album pics (which is the lowest you can go without having adjustable tie arms to correct the camber....any lower than that and you will run incorrect camber and be placing a huge amount of stress on the OEM tie arms and bushes)

kwistof's Album: My Car

Have no interest in being in the 'scene crew' haha. Follow quite a few people like that on Instagram and all they do is **** lick one another about a car they've just thrown money at and not done anything on it themselves.

Thanks for the link, IMO that's still too high for me which is why I don't want to go for AP's and be disappointed at the drop.

Just found the below thread of an S3 on AP's. If the front was a touch lower, that would be exactly what I want!

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/72259-euro-s3.html

Thanks for the link, IMO that's still too high for me which is why I don't want to go for AP's and be disappointed at the drop.

Like I said mate...that's with 25mm drop....there is still another 25mm drop if not more available- but at the time I got my APs fitted I didn't have adjustable tie arms which therefore meant it would be silly to lower it more due to the camber being completely incorrect and/or 10+ year old tie arms snapping due to the extra stress on them.

I will be dropping it another 10/15mm maximum in the next few months just to completely remove any body roll now that the rest of the car is completely stiffened up.

Like I said mate...that's with 25mm drop....there is still another 25mm drop if not more available- but at the time I got my APs fitted I didn't have adjustable tie arms which therefore meant it would be silly to lower it more due to the camber being completely incorrect and/or 10+ year old tie arms snapping due to the extra stress on them.

I will be dropping it another 10/15mm maximum in the next few months just to completely remove any body roll now that the rest of the car is completely stiffened up.

Yeh I see what you mean, does make sense.

If you read that thread, he has got the adjusters out on the back and the front could go 10mm or so lower. If that's defo the case, I'll go with the AP's.