Decent rear brake setup to suit Porsche 4 pots up front

mini-si

Reaction score
Hi all,

whats a decent rear brake setup for my s3 to work well with my Porsche 4 pots up front.
Reason I ask is, I've only owned the car maybe 6-7 weeks and yesterday was the first real time I give it a bit of stick. Come to a big island which I took at a little speed, backed off mid corner and tapped brakes ever so slightly and the back end just wanted to go, sort of like lift off over steer.
I read read threads regarding this issue so just looking to sort it out. I know you shouldn't brake mid corner but if ever I need to I would like to knowing that I'll be facing the right way once I apply the brakes. Lol.

It only tried to swap ends because you unsettled the car by brake mid corner, throwing all weight forwards and taking load off the rear. If anything I would argue that upgrading the rears will only make the rears want to lock more readily when under the same conditions.

I think Prawn's car attests to the fact the rears don't really need touching even when having a massive brake setup on the front axle.

Reactions: rhubarb4
Great minds and all that eh Lewis? :salute:

PM s3 Paul he does a 300mm rear kit, which uses the standard rear caliper

sort of like lift off over steer.

Could be a number of things

for example the haldex unit cutting power to rear - has a tendancy to make the rear end want to go sideways if braking whilst corning hard

Could be also be a geometry issue meaning the cars out of balance

Could be something like a dragging/failing caliper

Maybe some thicker ARB's are called for

Personally I'd go out and explore the braking characterisitcs a bit more, imho one event is not enough to suss out exactly how its handling