help

willmad89

Reaction score
I have replaced my clutch and gearbox, thought all was well till I started it up and can hear a horrible noise from the gearbox, with clutch pressed in and out doesn't make a different sounds like grinding like a bearing gone anyways I forgot to check the gearbox oil and its low would that cause this noise any ideas before I waste my money putting gearbox oil in

Sounds like main shaft bearing but can't be certain without hearing it

Wouldn't a main shaft bearing go quiet if the clutch has been pressed?

You sure you put the clutch friction plate in the right way round?

I put the clutch plate in right way as when I removed it I checked which way round it went before putting the new one on, a friend told me to check the oil so I checked it and it had almost none in so think ill be putting some oil in tomorrow hopefully that will solve it

Main shaft bearings are generally only noisy when under load, is this just at idle or driving etc?

both mate idle and when driving but I only took it round the block and not gonna start it again till I put gear oil init

It'd have to have no gear oil to be that bad. Was the starter motor on dowels to locate? I've seen starter motors not fitted properly and the teeth always on contact with the starter motor. Fly wheel torqued up correctly?

theres no dowels on the starter I checked that and I moved it around to see if that was the problem and I never touched the flywheel so cant be that either

I didn't touch the fly wheel but the clutch that was on before looks like a racing clutch would that have anything to do with it ?

I have just listened to it there and when at idle sounds like a chatter like a train and then when I accelerate sounds like a whine that's the best way to describe it

I had a ton of chatter at idle and replaced my dmf and clutch noise gone. The flywheel gets really loose and makes that chattering noise.