revs driving me crazy!!

dazza2393

Reaction score
Hi.can anyone explain why when my car is warm the revs bounce between 1 and 2k?if i switch off and start back up the revs go to normal.the engine is a 1.6.any ideas would be great!thanks.

Anybody. I've had 40 views but no one got any ideas?someone with vast experience may know?please any suggestions would be grateful.

OK, a bit more info would help, when does this happen, when the car is idling, all the time, when you are driving?

Has the car had any mods done to it, have you had the car scanned for any fault codes, if not, see if you can get that done first, as that could identify the issue straightaway for you.

Hi desert storm.if i took it off and cleaned it would i have to get it reset?if so is that correct in saying disconnectingy battery resets it?cheers

there is a way without vcds
someone with a 8L will tell you how.

Sounds like it could be carbon build up on the throttle body, I had this on my old A4, do the revs increase when you're in gear and then release the clutch to change gear? If I recall it was about a £100 job to fix

Take the throttle body off and get to work with a can of carb cleaner and a cloth and get it as clean as you can make sure you open the butterfly to get it all clean and then refit it
There is no real need to realign with VAGCOM as it will realign itself after 30mins or so of driving
Also check for vacuum leaks and such as these can cause rev bounce

Hi guys.cleaned tb with card cleaner its clean as now.however............the dreaded bouncy revs are still there.checked all pipes etc no leaks.so what am i looking at a new maf or maybe egr valve clean or can anyone suggest????thanks lads in advance....

pull maf plug.
see if the revs are back to normal if they are its the maf if not keep on looking.

Hi Bez mate.the rev thing did i thang today so unplugged maf and the revs did the same.they did not die off.its proper doing my head in now mate.what else could it be.?would plugging a fault code reader in show up anything?