Quich Dash changing question (Concert to Symphony)

I've been considering doing this myself for a while now (in fact I was very much planning on pecking CraigyB's head about it had he been able to make it to our meet in Jan), the idea being that I either want to fit an OEM sat nav unit, or use the same hole to tidily mount a VGA touchscreen for a Car-PC (however the question of whether this method can reliably take the daily hammer it would get has left my undecided so far)...

I know one of the other chaps on the board retrofitted a fully-loaded OEM sat nav setup into his S3; but I'm not sure whether he had to convert it to double-DIN first or not...

As far as I can work out from the looking at ETKA/ETOS and ELSA and the bit of examing my dash I did the last time I had my car in bits; it's possible - possibly even without any 'bodging' to speak of, but I'm not holding my breath for that. As with anything there are complications, and how severe they are depends on the spec of the dashboard you're starting out with...

If you wanted to fit a face-lift double-DIN centre console for instance, the parts catalogue lists a seperate version of the air-conditioning controls for vehicles with sat-nav - I don't know how critical this would be, as I've been looking into the conversion with only blower/heater controls in mind... It may be for a reason you could sidestep, but my point is just that there are hundreds of little caveats to consider (right down to switches at the top (they're a different size/shape) etc.)...

In terms of the job as a whole though, I'm 99% certain it's possible to do; but I guess anything is depending upon reserves of time and money... I don't think there are any BIG headaches in terms of fitting the console itself though, from what I can see it shares (almost?) all the same metalwork at the top side (where it joins the dash); it's just getting whatever equipment you need to have in it back-in...

I've started to collect a few bits and peices that I'm going to need to do the job (I'm planning to buy as little as I can get away with from dealers); but I've not made a start on it yet... If you've not gone ahead before I do, I'll keep you informed...

Regards,

Rob.

PS> You know it's all bo****ks and we both just want cupholders eh.... (cue the resurrection of the "cupholders in pre-facelift" threads...)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rob.

[ QUOTE ]
PS> You know it's all bo****ks and we both just want cupholders eh.... (cue the resurrection of the "cupholders in pre-facelift" threads...)

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rob.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good call - but I think I'll just get the insert for the armrest or a new car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Ps... surely if anyone is serious, find a breakers with an S3 or high spec A3 and get the whole centre console and cut the wires off so you've got all the plugs and everything then give it a go rather than trying to figure out which parts to order.

I'm just in the middle of this now, to retrofit the double din cage to fit the OEM sat nav.

I ordered the cage through www.vagparts.com, i think it was around £52 plus vat.

I'll let you know how i get on when it arrives (factory order).

when you say 'cage' do you mean just the middle bit? or is it the whole panel?

thanks

Its the fitting cage that sits behind the dash panel...

It comes out as a plastic and metal unit with either 3 single din slots or a double din and a single din for the Sat Nav setup...

It means the whole of the lower dash out...

Should be getting it towards the end of this week...

Piccies!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If it's cup holders you want, then the seat leon cup holder pretty much fits pre facelift A3s, some slight filing would be involved to make both sides rounded but i'm sure it wouldn't notice when the cupholder is closed.

I have one for sale if anyone is interested? i bought one, offered it up to the switches next to the hazard switch, thought perfect little bit of filing at bobs your uncle. Wish i'd checked how much room i had as i have heated leather seats i do not have room for the cup holder, two spaces for heated seat switches and 1 for rear window demister.. i was devastated. The cupholder is in perfect condition if anyone is seriously interested PM me and i can get some pics if u want. (p.s is to match black dash.)

Last edited by a moderator: