Powerloss, stalling , sputtering and more - Bad turbo or something else?

motorslug2000

Reaction score
Hello all,
hope i am correcting in postin in this forum, otherwise please advise.

I bought an A3 1.8t -02 a couple of months ago and it has been a pleasure to drive. Last few weeks i thought i noticed the car performing worse, the acceleration does not match up to to rev as earlier and the hissing from the turbo was definitely louder. I also noticed that it has started to "jump" when idling.
And i also hear a sputtering sound, that remind me of a small leak in the exhaust pipe/muffler - imy last car was a 92 toyota so thats my reference.

I had a shop look at the tubing and scan for error codes and they came up empty handed. I have googled like a demon for a cpl of days and am going to clean the MAF and also look at ignition coils/plugs etc.

But today i also noticed what to me seem like cracks in the turbo housing - so i would very much appreciate any insights regarding if this could be the root of my problems, and ideas for fixes. I enclose an image of the cracks for general speculations, hope that is ok.

Best regards

Bjorn

20140613 205211 smalMarksl

Jesus, never seen a k03 crack quite that badly... Has it been mapped?

This is very likely the cause of your problems or at least a very good place to start! . . Ideas for fix? New turbo and the go from there. Can get a used turbo for 150 quid or so, but they're not event that expensive new if you shop about. Just don't get a Chinese copy off ebay otherwise it'll end up like this or worse!!!!!

Thank you, now i know i'm not crazy!

No, not mapped. I had a service place look for error codes only and tube leaks only. That guy said the engine sounded like it had a cracked exhaust manifold. Don't really know what mapping is yet (my beloved A3 is changing my interest in engines big time!)

Follow-up:
1. Am i safe to granny-drive the car in the meatime or do i start walking, like a caveman, with my feet!?
2. Would it help to macgyver it with somekind of exhaustpipe paste?

Best

Last edited:
Mapping's when you change the ECU's software to request more boost & more fuel (among other things) resulting in more power... Hopefully.

The reason I asked is cos **** maps have been known to request more boost and not necessarily enough fuel resulting in high exhaust gas temps that could cause something like this.

Walk? What is this walk you talk of? :uhm: Can't see why you couldn't creep about like that for a bit, it shouldn't cause any further damage anyway but at the same time it aint gonna get any better!

No point trying to macgyver it either IMO, the pressures are too high, it'll just blow any exhaust paste straight out... Good luck getting it sorted :thumbsup: let us know how you get on

Thanks, great info!
Funny thing is that the seller (think he was 3rd owner) mumbled something about suspicions of the car being chipped (which i guess is basically somekind of mapping then). As a turbonewbie, i didn´t think much about it - i was just happy with all the fun stuff that happened when i half floored that pedal. But i noticed some weird stalling already in the winter but thought that i was just to heavy footed.

I got some nice suggestions for turboshops in town and talk to them in the week - i was just gonna get a new part but i think it might be best to do a map then so the same thing doesn't happen again.

Cheers

Ok, is the logging something i can do myself? I seen that there are som stuff to hook up to my phone which seem affordable.

Also, the crack in the picture is in the exhaust manifold right? Thats not where the actual turbocharger is placed? If i find a housing could i just replace that part maybe?

As far as I'm aware you can only log with VAG-com and possibly other (very expensive) mapping software... Where abouts are you mate? Should be able to find someone local willing to do some logs once you've got the turbo sorted

No mate, those cracks are in the hot side of the turbo it's self...

Slagmeister! or anyone else interested...

I might have gone into turbogrief a bit premature - it seems the "cracks" migh be some kind of truly un-pretty ridges on the housing that casts sharp shadows from the camera flash.

I tried cleaning the MAF today, but there was no difference that i could notice - i'll probably try that again though since i guess i was a bit to soft with the cleaning spray.

Oh - i tried driving a little bit with the MAF unplugged - my feeling was that it runs a little smoother - so maybe i just should go and get a new MAF?

When looking around behind the turbo outlet it seems there is a lot of oil and grime on stuff there - maybe that indicates something.

I guess i still need to find why it sound like a TDI (kind of farty and ticking) if it isn't the turbo leaking something else must be, right?

Ha ha! "Slagmeister", I like it! . . Well good to know it's no the turbo! Easy enough mistake to make from those photo's though.

I wouldn't worry about the oil/gime, that's fairly normal. From what you describe tho it does sound like it could well be a leak from the exhaust/turbo area... When the engine's running try moving your hand around the turbo/manifold/down-pipe are and see if you can feel any gas escaping. Careful tho as it will obviously be hot!

Re. the MAF it may be worth trying a new one but for the purpose of the exercise I'd just unplug it until you've worked out what your other problem is. The car should be able to run fine with the MAF unplugged

Hmm, yes a little bit actually. I was convinced it was a lose hose before i had it at the first shop, but i'm not totally convinced they checked the hoses thouroghly.

BTW - Learned the expression Blowing raspberries - fantastic.

I had to film around the turbo to notice it - when the cracks moved around with the camera and disappeared in some angles i realised it was some kind of foul magic. I´ll check for any obvious air streams while running tomorrow.

I tried moving the actuator (not wile running and i think it was the actuator) but it was insanely stuck - could it be as simple as a dirty,dirty turbo? Maybe i spend midsummer filling my turbo with mr muscle in that case...

So now i did some more research: this is what i found:

1. The actuator is not at all stuck - i was just to wimpy last time.

2. If i stick my hand to the left and slightly below of the turbocharger i can feel a pretty intense flow of air or maybe exhaust. I have no idea if this is normal.

3. A gandalf-like man passed my car i was staring at therunning engine and spontaneously said that it sounds like i have an exhaust leak.

4. Do not touch the turbo/exhaust when the car has been running for a while.

I guess my most pressing issue now is no.2 is there any natural explanation to that airflow around the turbo or is it a leak - all theories are welcome!

ha ha ha! . . Sounds like you've had an interesting time then!?

There should't be any air flow what so ever in that area. My guess is that it's the turbo to down-pipe gasket, but I could indeed be wrong! Maybe try and hone down exactly where is gas leak is from...

And mate, I did try and warn you about number 4! . . You'd have thought gandalf might have given you a heads up on that as well what with all his wise words and that!?

Thanks! That is so good to know and i'll start poking around for finding where the leak is for real now.

And yes, i kind of remembered something about a warning but nothing could get that hot in such a short while, right?

Swedish car-gandalfs are all the same, it it's not a volvo 740 nothing is repairable anyway. So i could just as well leave the skin of my fingers on that damn foreign exhaust contraption anyways.

Have a great midsummer!

I have found at least a big part of the problem: i think its called the Exhaust Flex Pipe coupling and is that braided thing on the image. I can move it quite a lot up and down the piping.
UP - no, or much less leak(exhaust probably?) - car is running more like i remembered it doing this winter.
Down - farty sound, weird limp performance of engine and what i think is exhaust leaking into the engine room.

Problem - it´s loose - as soon as i hit some more serious revs it comes loose again. I obviously need to fix this, and i really dont know if this is a part i can simply fasten again or if it is broken.

I´ve bought every type of serious looking adhesives from my local gas station today, but it felt like both me and the cashier knew that this was only a quick fix for me and not the car.
Theories and practices are welcome as usual!

Exhaust coupling small