WEIRD NOISE ON MY S3 ??????

TanyaS3

Reaction score
Hi

Got this weird noise on my S3. In the mornings when its cold when i turn the ignition on i get a very strange cruch noise before i have even touched anything????
Any one know what this could be at all?

thanks

Tanya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Tanya, can u describe the noise a bit more plz, if the crunch noise ur referringto sounds more like a tractor on start up then thats normal on the S3's. Our cars have been designed to sound like massey ferguson on start up.
The noise dissappears straight away and occurs due to the hydraulic tappets not having enough oil on them on start up. As soon as it starts up the tappets get coated in oil and the noise dissappears. Lubrication is very important even in cars !! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif
If ur car continues o make a weird noise then it needs to be looked at by a dealer as soon as.

cheers

Hi

Its just like a loudish crunch noise and then just stops.
Car is running fine just weird noise.

Tanya

Provided it only happens when u first start the car and dissappears immediately then its probably the symptoms i described above.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hi

Ok thanks. Ill ask audi tommorow as my bloke is picking his S4 up so ill c what they say. Its not like just the start up of engine sounding like tractor its a loud destinctive noise that cruches for a second.

thanks

Tanya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

In that case it probably just needs a new engine, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_2.gif

lol :p
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif hope not

[ QUOTE ]
tanya said:
Ill ask audi tommorow as my bloke is picking his S4

[/ QUOTE ]

What! You never told us you had a bloke! Tanya, you will have broken a few blokes hearts on here now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

AL

Tanya
I woudn't describe it as a crunching sound but the the aircon unit makes a noise a few seconds after starting the engine. Try switching off aircon and then restart the car.
Ian

Can it be the tensioner belt (or something like that?)

I had it also in my previous car (A3).
Just noisy, for the rest nothing wrong.

Try dipping the clutch before turning over the ignition and take some stress off the starter motor.

[ QUOTE ]
Ian_S3 said:
Tanya
I woudn't describe it as a crunching sound but the the aircon unit makes a noise a few seconds after starting the engine. Try switching off aircon and then restart the car.
Ian

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont leave air con on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I shall try dip clutch tom morn /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
thanks all.