High Emissions, White Grey Smoke From Exhaust. Help!!!!!

VOLKSGUY2014

Reaction score
Hi Guy's

Recently I have been getting alot of white/grey smoke from my exhaust on my Audi A3 1.6 AKL engine.

The fault code that I am getting is the following:

00537 - Lambda (Oxygen Sensor) Regulation
18-10 - Upper Limit - Intermittent

The catalytic converter is straight through and only has one pre cat sensor which is connected to the exhaust manifold.

I have run a compression test with results of 210,210,210,210 which rules out head gasket, no coolant loss or oil mixing.

I have checked all the reading from all of the sensors and they all come up to spec apart from the MAF which reads 1.42 g/s.
The activated charcoal solenoid doesn't click when the engine gets warm, but I have tested all the sensors through the diagnostics and they work fine. Is it correct in me thinking that the charcoal canister is on the same circuit as the lambda sensor and gets power from the control unit?

If you disconnect the lambda sensor shouldn't the ECU use default values?
I am also getting a slight misfire which I don't know where it is coming from.
I have changed the coil pack, injectors and plugs, which have recently been fouled and look like they have black oil on them.

I really want to get the charcoal can working again as I think that the fumes are not been purged correctly and are not been burned up in the chambers correctly. Could this be why I am getting the white grey smoke?

What do I do next?

change the fuel pump? test fuel pressure regulator?
pull the head and replace the valve seals?
change the o2 sensor?
change the cat?
perform a leak down test?
test the connection between the charcoal can and the ecu?

I have checked the lambda probe operation and the fault code comes and goes sometimes shows lower limit and upper.
I think that the sensor is detecting the smoke problem and leaning / enriching the mixture.
The readings for the lambda sensor show :

restricted mode
lambda probe functioning
and the voltage fluctuates as is should quickly with a 1/0 1/0 lean rich which is normal.

do you think that there are two problems here? The O2 sensor, valve seals & ecu problem that is stopping the charcoal canister and change over valve from working?

any help will be appreciated.

Hi,
Are you getting anywhere with this problem? I have an AKL golf with a similar problem that I need to find time to fix soon.

Hello

Have you solved the problem, I have the same issue with an AHL 1.6.

Sometimes smokes a lot, high idle, starts ok, no coolant consumption, oil consumption to confirm.

Usually starts to smoke a lot when warm.

175psi across all cylinders.

Replaced headgasket, engine time correctly, spark plugs, plugs and coil pack replaced, MAF replaced.

Can anyone help please?