Hub puller needed?

vala

Reaction score
I'm in the process of taking off my front hubs to get new wheel bearings pressed in.
I've managed to undo the tie rod end, undone the top nut on the balljoint, and removed the strut from the hub carrier, however the hub just won't budge along the splines of the driveshaft.
Is the only way to get this off going to involve a puller or can anyone suggest any other methods?

As you have already dismantled much of the other stuff holding the hub in place I think a puller is your only option now.

Having said that I had one on a Golf last year that was so stuck I ended up undoing the driveshaft at the gearbox end and pressed it out the hub with a 20 tonne press.

If you haven't got a puller already go for a 3 leg version and spray plenty of penetrating fluid or WD40 in there from both sides and give it time to work.

Also when removing the old wheel bearing it usually leaves the outer bearing shell stuck on the hub. This is a pain to remove without a knife edged bearing puller.

Copper hammer, hub nut on the end of the drive shaft so you don't damage the thread, the rest is pretty self explanatory...

Is the ball joint loose from the hub as well yea? its literally just the drive shaft splines you're struggling with? . .

Thanks for the replies.
Yes everything is off. Tie rod balljoint nut, strut to stub axle, balljoint nut, they're all off. Reading up on various threads it would seem one method to also try would be to screw the driveshaft bolt in all the way bar a few turns and give the end a few taps with the hammer. This apparently pushes the driveshaft out and by repeating this a few times should break the seal.

Also when reinstalling, would something like copper slip be recommended on the driveshaft splines? Or lithium grease?

yea, basically what I said... Just make sure none of the thread on the end of the shaft is showing... And it is likely you will have to give it a GOOD wack, don't be frightened.

The only benefit of copper slip or any grease would be that it'd make this job easier next time round, completely up to you...

I'll give it ago in the morning. There's no thread showing as it's a the 17mm hex head bolt variant and not the 30mm 12point nut.

Assumed you had already tried tapping it when I recommended a puller! Make sure you put the strut, ball joint and tie rod back in the hub knuckle before trying to hammer it or you will get nowhere and probably do some damage!