Track wheels for an S3

rolto1822

Turbo Trainee
Reaction score
Hi guys, been considering options for a second set of wheels for track use so that i don't have to spend £100 per corner to put shoes on my 18"s every time, and don't have to worry about finishing the day with below legal tread!

I know that the Avus rims that came on the S3 as standard were 17"s (?)
But inside my fuel cap where there are suggestions for tyre pressures, there are figures for my 18"s and some 16"s..
The 18"s are 225/40/18, and the 16"s that it lists are 205/55/16. It says M+S being mud and snow, but would it be stupid to run 16"s on track with those? Guessing that profile wouldn't exactly be the god of handling but how bad would it be?

I've had a look on blackcircles to compare tyre prices, and noticed that Yokohoma do the Advan Neova AD08 in the 205/55/16 which is the tyre i'd have liked to have bought for my 18"s but at that size they're £180 per corner, in the 16"s they're basically what i paid for a pair of Toyo T1-Sports the other day! Just a little over £100.

Would be interested to know what anyone else runs?

Sam

It's generally understood that 17's are best for track... Was so surprised how much better my car handles on 17's than 18's

I deffo wouldn't go down to 16's, by the time you've got a decent low profile tyre on them they'll be way to small and put all you gearing out etc..