s3 8l , boost leak?

gethinwr93

Reaction score
well i am now a happy owner of an s3 8l :) , its a pre facelift apy engine , and has had a stage 1 map but other wise standard performance wise.
now i was expecting it to be bit quicker than it is with it being around 250-60 bhp . I did own a mk2 leon fr tdi running 216bhp and it felt quicker imo.

I had a play with a standard leon mk2 Fr tfsi on a dual carridge way a few days ago and I had no hope of catching him up. Now i am aware the s3 i 4 wheel drive and heavier , but surely 50+ extro horses should give me some chance? Could i possibly have a boost leak?

thanks

Happy owner of an s3?
Your defo a newbie lol
Could be many things you have anyway of scanning it for faults?

only had it a few weeks lol .
i'll be able so get a snap on scanner on it hopefully next week in work. possibly vagcom aswell. just wondered if im expecting too much, but i'd of thought it would atleast match the leon lol

What stage 1 map have you got on it?

Tbh wait until you have scanned it. Try to get vagcom so you can get logs. The data on that will help with seeing if all is well. Or not.
Also like kwistof says what map does it have?

it was mapped by previous owner, by venom. thats all i know. will try get some logs done. then might get it on the rollers. see its worth getting a live map done on it to suit the car, as it will no doubt be a generic map

Yeah possibly could be a generic map.

Do you have any other mods on the car at all? Such as is it running the OEM air box with filter and TIP?

A B5 V2.2 is the TIP to go for really buddy to get the best results. I'd be surprised if it's only got stage 1 on and it's over 250bhp buddy....these cars are old and I suspect the hose under the inlet manifold could do with being replaced which is a common known leak that is not an easy spot.

Where are you located as well?

the car is standard apart from the map. still has airbox etc on.
its lowered 35mm on eibach springs , 18 inch s4 wheels with spacers .
i have been having a look on the forum and see a few people changin their tip's . whats the main benefit for this?
i'll take a look at all the pipes when i put it on the ramp next week, and try to spray some carb cleaner see if it's sucking air in anywhere is shouldn't be lol
im from north wales bud

Main benefits to changing the tip is the extra flow, better flow of air means the turbo can suck more up so more power. I had the hose under the manifold split, I would have never found it without a smoke test

ok i'll look into getting a new tip. aiming to get her to around 270bhp with a custom map in the next few months. plans are down pipe,de-cat with a 2.75-3 inch system non resonated. the s2000 filter and i'll fabricate some sort of heat sheild for it, new tip (how much am i looking at for one of these?)

how do you perform a smoke test? not done one of them before lol

I think it is possible to make your own makeshift kit to do it, but there are proper kits available, any decent garage that works with modified cars/turbos should have one and it's only a 10 min test so shouldn't set you back much to pay for one. You'll get a nice stream of white smoke coming out of any splits in the pipework so saves a tonne of time.

I can't remember off the top of my head how much a tip costs, I belive you're looking between the £100-150 mark. You won't regret buying a 3" Downpipe/Decat, it made a lot of difference on my a3, turbo spools up sooner and get more torque earlier

Hmmmm can't really advise of a place near/in North Wales I'm afraid dude.

With your list you have put up- I totally recommend getting a FMIC as the OEM Side mounts are rubbish even at stage 1 - let alone adding a turbo back system on it and going for stage 2.