Car Alarms

elucidate

Reaction score
Having just scared off what looked to be an attempt to remove me of my car (my house was burgled last week and I now think they must have been looking for my car keys) I need to be security minded and think about alarms.

The car has the standard Audi one and it does work, or seems to work, it's been set off once at work by accident.

However tonight my door was open, the interior light was on and no alarm sounded.

So I want a clifford.

I really, really like the dual zone proximity beeps which beep when someone gets too close to the car, plus something which has thatcham approval would be nice.

What is everyone else using as these cars are high risk and our premiums relfect this.

Sigma CAT1 with code hopping and keypad overide in the car (if keyfob fails for any reason).
Works with the Audi central locking & alarm so one button press for full closure.

jesus, if that was my car, and they'd burgled my house once already, i think i'd just leave the damn keys in the ignition - sod the alarm.

I'd rather they took the whole car and left us in the house alone, rather than threaten us or attempt a half-***** hotwire job.

I was in the house when they robbed it. Criminals are cowards normally, they were very quiet and didnt come upstairs.

The dual zone proximity will be useful preventing supermarket dings anyway...

let me know what alarm you get and costs please mate. although i've not had anything happen like you i'd like to get something similar...

Good luck.

Dave

I'm booked in now and will be making the trip to Birmingham tommorow.

I'm getting a Viper installed, they are the American bigger brother of Clifford.

The Viper 480XV Thatcham Approved Cat 1 Alarm & Pager.

Basically it's a Clifford 650P without the Blackjax anti hijack.

Dual zone proximity sensor and a fancy remote control which pages you when an alarm activation happens:
tx1.jpg

Fitted for £350, it would have been 300 without the dual zone proximity detectors.

Will update this tommorow, as for tonight I have a wireless CCTV camera!

ok mate, thats a decent price. where in birmingham is it been done? i'm only down the road from there so i'm very interested...

ok thanks mate. let me know what its like when you've had it fitted. This may be a stupid question but do the motion sensors on this alarm make the car beep when someone gets to close to it?

Regards
Dave

£300 is a good price. Do they use the existing sensors though or strip the car and change everything?

Right, got the alarm fitted yesterday.

Drove to Birmingham for 9am, straight in and left the car with Motorguard. They don’t have a waiting area so I walked to the end of the road and got a bus into town.

Quoted time was 4 hours but they actually completed it in 3-3.5.

The customer service from Rafique in motorguard is second to none. When I turned up to collect the car, I was given a full tour of the system, talked through it and demonstrated everything . I used to go to another Alarm supplier in High Wycombe and their service doesn’t even come close to that of motorguard.

So in summary, it pages you when it warns someone away, or when the alarm is activated for any reason.
I did a 300 mile round trip to get it fitted and was more than happy with the service received.
Total price including fitting was £349.99 and considering just a few years ago the same thing would have cost around 1K, its an excellent deal.

just wondering how the alarm was going? still good? any false alarms?

Cheers

No false alarms, the alarm is superb, absolutely worthwhile investment.

Considering the same thing would have cost upwards of £600 a few years ago, its a brilliant deal.

Very, very happy and I can highly reccomend Motorguard.

have you got the remote engine start feature?

Do the standard red led's still keep flashing when the viper is armed?

Where do they install the blue led? (prob won't have this fitted)

Sorry for all the questions but i'm really interested in getting it fitted.

Cheers.

No id dint get remote engine start. If I add anything it will be the turbo timer.

Yes the standard red LED's remain operative and flash when armed.

They install the blue LED wherever you like, normally in the blank fascia panel next to the heated seats buttons, although mine was in use so they installed it at the front of the gearstick unit (so it can be seen from both sides of the car)

cheers. do you need a turbo timer because I thought that the A3's do keep the engine goign for a bit to cool it down or is that just the fan?

Well, if you intend to vacate your car straight after parking when you've just done a real heavy session then yes, otherwise no.

However, it is only the fans that keep running

Cheers,

Gonna get this fitted in next couple of months when the car's back on the road! Prob not get the engine start because it's an extra £175 and i'll just wrap up warmer when getting into car!