AGU Swap

Cvetko

Reaction score
Hi there,

how hard is to swap (1.8T) agu engine into (1.6) avu engine car?
Already updated the breaks to 288mm.
Things I know that I will need.
-engine, gearbox, all pipes, alternator, starter, coils, injectors
-ecu (I have MS2)
-turbo (have already)

What about looms, key, key-lock, pumps, a/c compressor, main gagues(speed, fuel, rpm, display)?
Is any difference if I buy an engine which has the steering wheel on right, because I have it on left?

thanks

Hi there,

how hard is to swap (1.8T) agu engine into (1.6) avu engine car?
Already updated the breaks to 288mm.
Things I know that I will need.
-engine, gearbox, all pipes, alternator, starter, coils, injectors
-ecu (I have MS2)
-turbo (have already)

What about looms, key, key-lock, pumps, a/c compressor, main gagues(speed, fuel, rpm, display)?
Is any difference if I buy an engine which has the steering wheel on right, because I have it on left?

thanks

Yes... it is... and there is no real reason to as you can already buy an A3 with a 1.8t fitted at the factory

You will need looms etc as they are all different, recode the clocks or immo defeat etc.. the list goes on..

Not saying its impossible as it isn't but... considering you can get A3's off the shelf with this engine in and it will be more insurance friendly as a result then there is no compelling reason to swap the engine out

If the 1.6 is drive by wire rather than drive by cable then you will also need to swap the peddle box too...

I don't know what you mean by MS2 for the ecu... is this a standalone ECU?... when fitting 1.8t's into Mk2/3 Golfs etc then I use standalone ECU's... this is relatively easy as the electricals are less complex... Mk4 chassis cars are more integrated so ABS etc may need recoding if expecting it to work..

The RHD/LHD thing may be an issue for the wiring loom... never done one so can't really comment on this but I know that some looms are LHD/RHD specific...

<tuffty/>

I completely agree with Tuffty - how is a massive job like that ever worth it? By the time you've bought an engine, all other required parts etc to do the work, you could easily buy an AGU equipped A3.

MS2 is Megasquirt, so standalone!

Yes, thanks I meant Megasquirt 2

If the 1.6 is drive by wire rather than drive by cable then you will also need to swap the peddle box too...

<tuffty/>

Huh, that must be a hell of a job too :S

Unfortunattly I can affort to buy another car. (What would my parents think :D)
I (we) puts a lot of efforts on my car, dont want to lose it, I am very proud of it :)
Want just a little more HP for drive normal, now I am always at full throttle and still standing there XD

Sorry to be brutal mate but there really is no point to this. For what you can get a decent 1.8T for it just makes no sense, the parts required in component form will cost you almost if not as much as buying another car. You will need to also insure it as a 1.6 with an engine transplant so you'll get your pants pulled down, especially if you're the wrong side of 25.

The absolute best advise I can give is either buy a 1.8T car or just wait until you can afford to buy a 1.8T car.

Sorry to be harsh.

Yes, thanks I meant Megasquirt 2

Huh, that must be a hell of a job too :S

Unfortunattly I can affort to buy another car. (What would my parents think :D)
I (we) puts a lot of efforts on my car, dont want to lose it, I am very proud of it :)
Want just a little more HP for drive normal, now I am always at full throttle and still standing there XD

If u can't afford to but an A3 with a 1.8T, then forget the engine swap. These things always cost 5x more than you ever anticipate.

What have you done to your current car you don't wanna loose?

I'm selling an a3 AGU if you want to save time :) it's been loved.